10.17.2006

The whole 26.2 miles

Kind of like the whole 9 yards. ... . but not really. I was thinking today, thinking about how I haven't ran since saturday and I have been itching to get out there and do 3 or 4 miles.... thinking about what it would be like to complete a marathon. Any marathon.

Many other runners out there, especially in the midwest, are in taper mode right now. Tapering for the Chicago marathon. Oh, I wonder what it would be like to be in that position. So many hoping to be able to finish it, avoiding a DNF.... many hoping to break their PR.. ... and then those elite runners, hoping to meet the requirements to qualify for Boston. Now, I do not know exactly what the time requirement for BQ is, I am guessing somewhere around 3 hours; all I know is that it is way too hard for me to imagine even completing right now.

I look down my sidebar of this blog, and realize how much I thought I would have accomplished by now. I began my running journey in May hoping to run the Detroit Lakes HM in September. I can make many excuses, and I don't want to think of them as excuses but as parts of life. I struggled with "becoming" a runner, finding time, and battling minor injuries and hurdles through the process. Now, looking back, I didn't complete that HM, and I wasn't even able to do the 10K Medora race that same weekend. So, as of right now, the only races I have done are 5K. But, I have done them, and have been reminded multiple times how becoming a runner is a slow process, and becoming a better runner is just as slow.

I look at my sidebar and all I see is the 200+ miles I have put on my legs in running, sub 50 miles on the bike, few laps in the pool, and the few 5K I have accomplished. Even though, I am frustrated with the lack of races I have accomplished, I realize that I have accomplished so much. I have learned so much.. ... I have learned about different types of runs; tempos, long, fartlek, etc... I have been learning about shoes, cross-training, resting, healing minor injuries, healthy meals before runs and after, proper stretches, proper intake of liquids, etc.

The purpose of the entry? Who knows! Just some random thoughts on my running and others. But, I do hope, that some day... I will attempt the 8K, 10K, Half Marathon, and then maybe, just maybe....the whole 26.2 miles.

Good luck to those of you who are running the Chicago Marathon, and others who are running any upcoming marathons in your neck of the woods! You will all do awesome...you all have been quite the inspiration for me and many other runners out there!

Happy runnings, y'all!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

very insightful

MNFirefly said...

Very awesome post. Maybe you should think about doing the Fargo marathon in May. I want to do that marathon next after P.F. Chang's in January. It will be AWESOME to do with someone nearby - sort of.

Lance Notstrong said...

I started running in Nov. 2004. I didn't run my first half marathon until Dec. 2005. I'm not sure if that's too much time or not enough but it worked for me. You'll get there :-)

Anonymous said...

Way to focus on the positives! As I looked at my past blog entries today, I too noticed that running (and swimming) is a process and that there will be many peaks and valleys, many ebbs and flows. Stay hungry for it.

Lora said...

Running is just like life, ain't it? It's all about the bigger picture while we enjoy the moments. Beautiful post on your moments. For everything there is a season....and when your time comes....look out--it'll be a big one!! :)
Thanks for the good marathon wishes!

Anonymous said...

you are one smart woman i love your blog entries even if they aren't running stats, you WILL get there when it's best for your life...your balance.

TNTcoach Ken said...

Time, it's funny how we look at it from different perspectives. When we're running, when we're unable to run. Just remember that you have time and the patience that you're gaining now will carry you in the future.