10.03.2006

Stress

Just when I thought I had things figured out, managing my time, be able to get my running in, getting somewhat enough sleep.... life will throw you a curve ball (or two). It seems as if things are starting to become overwhelming and stressful. Again. More overwhelming and stressful than before.

Last friday I received a piece of mail from the university, telling me that I am enrolled in TOO many credits. One would think that wasn't possible. As part of the RT program, we get a stipend due to the fact that they consider our residency (teaching during the day) as a 1/2 time GTA position. With that, they only want us to be enrolled in 6-10 credits, which would make us part time student. Makes sense. But, I am enrolled in 13 credits. Full time. This is mostly due to the 4 credits I am taking as part of my internship. So, now I have to fill out this graduate school petition to see if I can get those few extra credits okayed. If not, I may have to drop a class. All that work, and I would have to drop a class and take it next summer. I don't want to graduate in the summer. Graduating in the summer (August) means that I will not be getting my credentials prior to school starting, which in return makes job hunting/snatching quite difficult. I am a little miffed.

My classes are really overwhelming. Lots to do, and just not enough time. I feel as if I need to put everything on the back burner. Running, social life, etc. This is really hard for me. I am one who feeds of off challenges, and have always loved having a full plate, but this is difficult. I am out the door by 7am (sometimes earlier) every morning, and not home until after 7 on tuesday/thursday, and 10 on wednesday night. For those of you who work with children, can testify that it can be draining; mentally, physically, and most definitely emotionally (especially when working with special education students). I spend my monday nights doing homework. I spend Tuesday nights doing homework after class. I spend Wednesday, between school and class, making sure I am ready for Thursday. Usually, it is at this time that I start to realize I don't have everything ready for my 4:00 class on Thursday. Thursday, after class, I am so mentally drained, it is hard enough to get things ready for school for Friday. I come home friday, and can't get myself to really do anything because I am so burnt out from the week. (Like last friday....I came home and ended up falling asleep in front of the tv, missing the Twins game) Then I spend most of my Saturday/Sunday doing projects and trying to stay on top of things.

Don't get me wrong, I have had my fair share of fun. I have made the effort to get out Thursday nights for volleyball (for an hour), which I beleive this is our last week (thank God). I have gone out a Friday/Saturday night here or there. But, I feel as if I need to put those things asside for now and figure out how to tackle all this crap. Yes, I still need to make time to run/workout. I just have to realize it won't be as much as I would like. Some is better than none. Yes, I still need to make time to socialize. But, I can't be going out and having "TOO much fun." That is wearing me out.

And what am I doing now? I am posting in my blog. So, don't be suprised if you don't hear from me for a while (don't hold me to this!)...while I figure out my schedule and try to get things together! But, I find this as a relief, and hope to look back on it when I am all done with school (in May, hopefully)...and realize that it was quite the experience and that I have learned so much!

'Till next time....

Happy Running's, y'all!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hang in there! It'll get better. Sometimes you have to let the less important things slide. Don't stress over it. Do what you have to do and pick up the rest when life settles down. We'll all still be here when you get back.

Unknown said...

I know what you mean about the kids wearing you down and coming home tired. I hope you get the credits ok'd. Good luck!

MNFirefly said...

Hang in there. Listen to yourself and do not overwhelm your body. I hope that the credits get ok'd.