7.09.2006

RUNNING...and other stuff

RUNNING:
I haven't run since my long run friday morning. Here's the report:
Got up. Got ready. Drank some water. Stretched. Grabbed my Garmin, Nano, and Heart monitor. Out the door I went. USUALLY, it only takes a couple minutes for the Garmin to register. Nope. Not this morning. I sat in the grass for nearly a half hour waiting. Then I just decided to go. This changed my route completely. I had to go a way that I new were mile 1 and mile 2 were, so when my Garmin DID register, I could hit start. Mile 2, it was ready. So I am running. It is already after 8am. Very humid. Miserably humid. I am running. And running. I reach mile 4.5 and am dying of thirst. I take a detour and run through a park hoping to get water from the water fountain. I forgot that it wasn't working the last time Sis and I went through, so I hit up the sink in the bathroom. Gross. Warm water. And off I went. Now it was even hotter, about 8:30am...and more humid. Since I had to take a detour, my route was all messed up, and I ended up doing some running on a "highway". Yeah. then I finally found a path and was almost hit by a dirk truck. He saw me, I slowed down, he didn't move, then I passed him and he started to move. I almost CRAPPED my pants. Then I got close to my place and my Garmin said 7.4. My left upper thigh (probably a groin muscle) was hurting and I didn't think I could pick my legs up for another half a mile. So I got home at 7.5 miles. I didn't reach 8, but I did more than last week. Not the greatest run. Hopefully this week will be better.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
WEEKEND:
I was out of town this weekend. I hit the road after work on friday and spent a wonderful weekend with a couple of my best friends. Oh, it was so fun. Friday night we went out for dinner and then drank at their apartment while reminiscing over photos from our first three years of college. We laughed and we laughed. It was so much fun. Then we had some serious talks and that was good too! Saturday we slept in late, due to being up until 4:30 in the morning. We did a little shopping and then we had a nice homecooked meal and spent the evening watching some movies. So much fun! Thanks so much JDG and JTA for letting me stay! You guys are going to have to come up here some weekend!

--------------------------------------------------------------------
This week is going to be great. It is my last week of of classes for THIS six-week session. I am so pumped. I just have a few little things to do for my three class, and I am done. Then I start a new 2-week session next week. Yeah!
I am so sad. Summer is going to be over before I know it and I will be heading back into the classroom as a teacher and a student. Crazy!

So, this girl HAS to run in the morning, and I am looking for something different to do. Something besides running out 2 miles, and coming back. Any ideas? Anything fun that can still work as one of my shorter runs? I would love any ideas!

Well, I am off to finish my homework. Happy runnings y'all.

11 comments:

cdoc said...

I am jealous that I couldn't be there with you guys this weekend, but mostly sad because I miss all of you so much. Good job on your run.

Humble Runner said...

Which garmin are you using? Much like you, I recently had some problems with my 205. Per GARMIN, the new model is more accurate, therefore requires more satellites. They told me to not walk around or move while the watch is acquiring. Now I take the watch off and set it down. This may sound silly, but it has helped a lot. The 205 also takes longer if your routes are far from each other, because it "recognizes" your consist running locations.

I hope this helps.

MNFirefly said...

Nice job on the run. The weather on Saturday after 12 noon was awful here, after the rain.

Neese said...

way to keep going on that run, 7+ is great! ~ have your tried spinning? that may mean $ and classes so probably not as flexible as you may be looking for

SRR said...

AGH! I flippin HATE when my Garmin does that. Were you running while it was still trying to hook up the satelites? If so, I think your supposed to wait until it's "hooked" up before you start your run.

Nice job on the mileage! :-)

Backofpack said...

Good job! For something new, I wander. I head out the door, and if my usual route is left, I go right. Anytime I come to a "usual" spot I turn away. You've gotta keep an eye on your times so you don't get too far out, but it's an easy way to find something new.

Legs and Wings said...

Sounds like that humidity nearly bested you...good job to get it done. I find trucks are hard to read...they always seem to dart out when just when you think it's safe to roll.

Take care.

Quilt Granny said...

Hello, I read your blog today after I got your comment on mine. I too hate the heat and find it almost impossible to run. The only thing I've been able to come up with, is to get up really freakin early and run before work. SUCKS DON'T IT. I got nothing to say about your Garmin because if you read one of my earlier posts, you'll see that I'm engaged in a battle with my HR dept. to have them cover the costs of it from our Learning and WELLNESS account. So far, they say no. Apparently a palm pilot is related in some way to learning and wellness, but a Garmin 305 is not. Go figure.

Anonymous said...

Nice run even if you had to take a detour or so.
Good luck finishing your classes.

Anonymous said...

Nice run even if you had to take a detour or so.
Good luck finishing your classes.

Carissa said...

Have you ever checked at the Y if there is a running club in town or if they have any running paths marked out? I've been meaning to do that, but haven't gotten over there. I am tired of running on grass fields and sidewalks around town. Oh, hey, have you ever been out to Turtle River State Park? It's about a 20 minute drive west, but there's some really nice dirt paths around there, and in TREES!