7.06.2006

Anxious??...Nervous??...

Lately, I have noticed a reaccuring behavior before my long runs. Especially the last few weeks...

The night before, I usually find my mind wandering, thinking about my run the next morning..... and from there my stomach starts to turn with eeny weeny little butterflies. Just little ones.

Why is that?

Am I anxious? Am I nervous? What's the deal?

Tonight after my class got out at 8pm, I started to think about the things I need to do to get ready for my run in the morning:

Where am I going to find 8 miles of good ground to run on? (there are many different paths here, but none that are much longer than a couple miles).....
I need to remember to throw my powerade in the freezer (this way it is nice and slushy by the time I am done with my run).. . . ...
What time should I get up for my run, this depending on:
  • when do I work tomorrow? 11am.
  • What is the morning weather going to be like? rainy around 9am, must be done before 9am...
Is my nano charged?....I think so..
Did I drink enough water tonight? I did have to leave class tonight twice in three hours to go to the bathroom....
I should do some stretching before I go to sleep, can never stretch too much, right?
I need to put something in my tummy before I run, but not too close to my take off.
Then, what time should I hit the hay, so I get enough beauty sleep...? 10pm the latest...


I SHOULDN'T be nervous. My 7 miles last saturday went really well. I am sure that the paved paths (not cememt) along the beautiful Missouri River helped.

So.. ... my run tomorrow should go wonderful!

WHY DO I GET THIS ANXIOUS FEELING?

Could I really be that excited to run? Yeah. Maybe! I do tend to look forward to my long runs. I think I like the idea of seeing how far this body of mine can actually go! I have NEVER ran 8 consecutive miles before in my entire 25 years of living! EVER!

Wish me luck, y'all! I am off to bed...hoping to get a good 8 hours before my WONDERFUL 8 mile run! If I can find 8 miles in the darn town...

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Good luck with the 8 miles. YOU CAN DO IT!

MNFirefly said...

I get the case of the nerves before I have a nice long run. But once the run's over...it's OVER. It does not hurt to be overprepared.

Good luck on the run tommorow!

Anonymous said...

Hope your run went well! See you after work!!

Neese said...

hope your 8miles went well!
i think you just want to do well and achieve your goals and the more it gets challenging the more you might get anxious, which i would think, is normal... and if it's not, we still love ya!

Joe said...

I think your anxious feeling is a good thing. As you speculated, I think it just means that you are excited to run. It's good to have that hunger.

Donald said...

Sounds like you're starting to think like a runner. That's not necessarily a good thing, but there you go.

The miles are out there. You'll find them when you look for them.

Jess said...

I know exactly what you mean! I get reallly nervous/anxious before long runs too. I'm not sure what that's about, but it happens all the time! Good luck with your 8 miles tomorrow! YOU CAN DO IT!

SRR said...

Oh geez! I have that same feeling. I stress out and worry about every little damn run! It's getting aggravating lately!!

But, honey...you will do fabulous. Just believe in yourself and try postive thinking ONLY!! :-)

Anne said...

Is it possible to drive out a few miles and find a new course that's more than a few miles long? Or would that just add to the butterflies?

Backofpack said...

Eight miles? You'll do great!

Anonymous said...

Hope your run went well.