7.12.2006

Oh, the humanity...I mean, HUMIDITY

I am getting really sick of the humidity. It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't mixed with 80-90 degree weather and no breeze.

Last night as I was thinking about my 5 miler I had planned for the morning, I was watching the weather channel, hoping that at 6am, the weather was going to be somewhat cool with a little breeze.

Well, I got up at 6am, and was out the door by 6:30 ( I don't know what I did with that half hour), and off I went. Wow. It was already 68 degrees, sun was up and IN-CHARGE...

I felt a slight breeze, somewhat warm, when I started out. Until about I reached about .3 miles and I didn't feel it ever again. Nope. I was sweating profusely. It didn't help that I woke up this morning hot. You know those times you get up and you wish you would have had a fan blowing on your DIRECTLY, or slept under the air-conditioner....I hate that feeling...

So, anways.... I didn't make it that far. I knew before I left the apartment that I wasn't going to do my 5 miles, I figured I would split it in half between today and tomorrow. Well, I got to my 1mile and had to go to the bathroom really bad. I will spare you the details, lets just say I got home as soon as I could.

Tomorrow, I think I am just going to bike in the morning and maybe swim in the afternoon. We will be having our first volleyball game (of our second session) tomorrow night! I can't wait! We are getting t-shirts done, so watch for photos on my upcoming posts!

On a different note ---> WATER....

We all know what is good for us. And in my previous post I discussed an article I read in Runner's World on how much water should be taken in while running. I was doing so research today and came across some things that we all probably know already:

Breaking down body fat and body muscle during weight loss produces wastes that must be eliminated through the kidneys. Drinking enough water is important to keep the kidneys functioning to remove these wastes.
Drinking 500 mL of water (a half-liter or about a pint) increased the study participants' metabolism briefly - for about a half hour. In that time they burned an extra 25 calories.


They say....8 glasses a day! Wow...that is a lot. I know I drink a lot of water already, but some people just don't like it... how is a person to take in all that water in a way that they can enjoy it? Any ideas? Any thoughts?

11 comments:

Neese said...

sorry about the truncated run, you'll go further next time! -- as for water options, what bout the Propel water that has some flavor to it? or perhaps filling a water bottle than squeezing some lemon into it, just *something* to give it a little zing.

i actually like all waters, plain and flavored, and try to drink 32oz before lunch and 32oz after lunch, i don't always make it, sometimes less, sometimes more, i think the key is always having it with you, at your desk, in the car, etc

Steve Stenzel said...

I agree - always have some with you. That'll get you drinking! I have a problem where I always have water with me and end up drinking too much. I'm in and out of the bathroom!

Thanks for the comment, by the way. Good luck out there!

Steve

Donald said...

Sometimes I'll put just a touch of Gatorade in a large water container, to give it some taste and help me drink more fluids. It's a few extra calories, though - so maybe it's not the best solution.

Anne said...

Be careful. That RW article is stirring up a lot of heated debate (no pun intended) since the advice seems a little out of whack with conventional wisdom.

SRR said...

This sounds really odd, but what temp. does the water need to be? I heard the colder the H2O the more it speeds up your metabolism. Hmmm...wonder if that's true!?

cdoc said...

All the flavor ideas are great. I love Propel water, but try to get myself to drink plain as much as possible even though I am not a fan at all. My other problem is that I forget to drink water all day and then try to catch up later before I run, which causes me to have to go to the bathroom about 20 minutes into my run, so I have to turn around and go back. Thanks for asking for tips teacherwoman, I needed some. I hear you on the humidity, one thing I didn't know about the Northeast is that it is as humid as ND. The heat index yesterday was 15 degrees warmer than the temp. due to the 100% humidity, yuck! Good job on your run!

MNFirefly said...

Don't you just HATE the heat? OMG! It's just awful out there and it's only Wednesday. Saturday's going to WORSE...EKADS! I ALWAYS drink two glasses of Powerade before each run and seems to work very well. I then make sure I have 16-24 oz of sports drink AFTER the run too, then 84 oz or more of water until I go to bed. I do consume it and it helps.

Unknown said...

I find it difficult to drink that much water daily unless it is really hot throughout the day. I am not sure what to make of all the discussion about how much water we should be drinking, but I think it comes down to common sense on drinking enough, but not over doing it either.

Backofpack said...

It's hard to drink that much. I drink tea all day, or this time of year, iced tea or gatorade. Once in a while just plain water, but never as much as is reccomended.

Joe said...

I wouldn't obsess about the 8 glasses a day dogma. Check out this article on the Darthmouth Medical School's website. We get lots of water from fruit, vegetables and most other foods. I don't think it's normal to drink so much water that you have to go pee every 20 or 30 minutes. As the article advises, drink when you are thirsty...it's NOT too late.

Carissa said...

I make myself carry my Nalgene with me wherever I go. Sometimes I still don't drink the water that's inside, but I still take it with me. I consider the annoyance it sometimes is to always have it with me a punishment for not drinking enough water. :)