6.22.2006

I need HELP!!

Okay. Starting to get worried a little bit. I have only 11 more weeks until HM time and I feel like I am never going to be ready. I know. 11 weeks is quite a bit of time still, but I am like that.

My long run this weekend consists of 7 miles. 7 MILES. That is crazy. I don't know how I will get through it! I can't imagine doing 8 or 9 or 10 right now. I struggle with 6.

Grr.

Am I running enough during the week?

I thought that if I was running a couple times during the week and then cross-training the rest that I would be safe and keep myself from getting injured. Now I am starting to think that I should be running 4 times a week, that including my long run.

Is it better to run further when I run a few times a week, or is it better to run more often at decent distance (3-4 miles)? I ran yesterday 3.6 miles and wasn't planning to run now until my long run saturday. Plus, my legs were a little achy last, night . .. especially when I was on my feet for quite a few hours last night. Maybe I should run another 3 miles tomorrow and then do my long run sunday... . . . hmm...

Calling all runners, I need some good ideas.. . .. ...let me know what you think!! HELP!!!

7 comments:

Haight said...

Well, sounds like you need a guide or program to train with. Take a look at this...

http://www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/index.htm

His training programs are one of many that could help guide you and give you the direction you need. But from looking at your sporting background and what you have been doing up to this point, you'll be just fine.

Unknown said...

There's lots of lines of thinking on this, but I would suggest that if you are used to running only three days a week and plan on adding another day maybe cut back the mileage on the other runs to balance it out. So if you ran 4, 4, and 7 during the week, try a 3, 3, 3, and 7 rotation, or something similar. That's my suggestion.

Backofpack said...

I think you need to bring those mid-week miles up (slowly). Go with Rob's suggestion, then try to bump one of your mid-weeks to 4 and long to 8, then mid-week to 5, long to 9. Then I'd bump another mid-week to 5 and long to 10, etc. You'd end up with something like 5-3-5-long. Eventually, bring the three up to 4. I think you need to progress slowly (think 10% rule) but still increase those miles. Another site to check out is marathontraining.com. Go to FAQ, look for the half marathon questions, and in the answer you'll find a training chart.

mouse said...

backofpack and robtherunner are very wise... I would listen to them if I were you.

I agree with haight that a training plan is always a good idea to give you some guidance, but make sure you don't up your milage too quickly. the 10% rule that backofpack mentioned is a good rule to go by.

and, FWIW... in the book i'm reading, Pfitzinger says that most people's bodies can only handle three "hard" runs a week. the rest should be easy, to give yourself time to recover.

Jess said...

if you're feeling achy, i wouldn't do any extra running this week. i would stick to doing your long run on saturday.

as for the ice bath i fill the tub with water as cold as it can possibly go and then dump a couple trays of ice cubes in there. i'd add more ice if i could, but i just don't physically have the capability to make more

as for adjusting to it.....i go in feet first then kinda squat and hover above the water and then just plunge in...i read somewhere that biting into a towel helps you focus on something besides the initial shock of the water although i've never tried that

hope that helps!

SRR said...

You'll be great! I agree with Haight...get with a training program, and with 11 weeks you still have time to jump in. If you need extra energy, have you thought about "gu" or another energy gel?

Anonymous said...

the key thing is to do the lone run as scheduled, by doing more during the week you only make the long weekend run more difficult as you are tired,etc. the lone run is the one you will rely on when you do the hm. also don't stress on the details it only draws energy that you can use elsewhere and will affect your sleep, I know I have been there