3.13.2007

Zero to Ninety

Went to the gym today. Blah. I didn't really want to go there, but I wanted to get in a session of spin. I haven't been to spin in two weeks. So, I went straight to the gym when I got back into town, hoping to do a couple miles on the thrillmill beforehand. Well, I started with doing a couple reps of weights on a few different machines and realized I didn't want to overdue it on the arms before spin. Oddly enough, I get quite a workout in the arms when spinning. We usually spend some time "pretending" to lift weights while spinning and that is quite the workout. I also like to have my handlebar quite low, which makes it for a more challenging work out.

After I was done lifting, I hit the thrillmill and was only able to get in 1.66 miles. Oh well. It was a nice little warm-up before spin. I met up with my sister and we headed to spin. I couldn't believe how much I was sweating! It was just dripping on me onto my legs, my handlebars, and everywhere else. That was definitely an indication that I was drinking enough water today.

Towards the end of the workout, I felt myself reaching a point of exhaustion. And then she did it. She made us do 5 sets of some sort of intervals. We had our tension cranked up, mine was at about a 5 on a scale of 1-6 with 6 being the most difficult. She wanted us to to speed up to a minimal cadence of 90 for 30 seconds and then coming to a complete stop for about 5 seconds. Then doing it again and again...five times. With so much tension, it was really difficult to start again after coming to a complete stop. But it felt great when I was done! Actually, after my three miles yesterday, a little running today and then spinning 10 miles, my legs are definately feeling it. I am afraid I might have to take a rest day tomorrow. It's amazing how a week off from physical activity can really affect the body!

Maybe I will go for a walk tomorrow if the weather is nice. We are supposed to get a few flakes, but nothing significant...

Happy running, y'all!

Overall workout: 1.66 mile run, 10 mile spin

P.S. I now know what Wes was saying in regards to feeling lopsided... my right glute is so sore compared to my left... weird.

16 comments:

Wes said...

Yup. I was thinking the same thing. It might have been that 18 mile bike ride I did last Sunday! Oh well, I guess my right butt is just going to have to get with the program!! LOL.

Unknown said...

I am afraid of spin classes and this once again confirms the fear that I have. One of these days I will overcome my fear and get my butt into one of those classes. I hope the lopsidedness goes away soon.

JeffM said...

That does sound hard starting up from a dead stop- ouch. You'll be a better rider for it though.

Unknown said...

I get sore glutes from riding too.

Those reps at the end sound killer...

Jess said...

That was some workout you got in. I've only been spinning a few times. It makes my butt hurt like crazy, so I can't make myself do it haha.

Joe said...

I should try this spinning thing. Do any macho guys do it? Or is it strictly a girly thing?

miss petite america said...

omg, stopping and starting? you're hard core, chica. hard core!

Jess said...

I don't know how you can work out before or after a spin class; when I used to go, the class was enough to wipe me out!

Anonymous said...

I love to bike, and trail ride, but spinning classes kill me every time...

MNFirefly said...

Spinning sounds like fun!

Lora said...

There's nothing like a sore body to let you know how much you love all this!!

Great job!!

Mendy said...

Spinning is something I've falling in love with lately. I've only been to 2 classes, but I enjoy every second of it, even though it kicks my butt everytime. Our class at the Y is so hard to get into, because it's so popular. You have to reserve your seat the night before at 7. And the class fills up in 5 min. Unfortunately, I didn't get into either of the teacher's classes I like this week. :-( But, I'll be back next week!

Good on you for running before spinning! Wow! Don't know if I could handle that.

Ms Eva said...

Spinning kills my buttocks, too! It'd be nice if I could use the cushy gel seat from my mtn bike. Otherwise a great workout! :)

Neese said...

Hey girl I miss hanging with you in blogland... I'm crawling back in though :) Way to spin!

Anonymous said...

Good effort at the gym. I wish I had your motivation but I have the blahs - I think it is the change in the weather back to cold.

Mmem said...

LOL, one of my glutes is hurting, too!!!!

Hope all the glutes in the RBF are feeling better soon!