3.29.2007

Call me Crazy ... with a capital "C"

It's been one hell-a-vuh-week! I am definitely running out of time here people! I have only two "free" weekends between now and the end of May that I can get a lot done... that is, free to pack/move, apply for jobs, and complete four projects for school. Ahhhh!

But, on a side note, it's been a few days since I have posted. So here is a brief update. "Brief" being the opperative word.

Monday: I squeezed in a 4.05 mile run when I got out of class at 9pm-ish. Averaged 10:48/mile. Right leg was a little sore, possibly due to the fact that I ran 3 days in a row... with an accumulation of 11.4 miles.
Tuesday: Wasn't able to squeeze in any lifting or light running, since I was going and going from 7am until 5pm. Just had enough time for spin class from 5:30 - 6:15 before my 7pm class. Total, 9.26 miles spin.
Wednesday: Rested. Ahhh.... Actually, I did laundry and some dishes, watched American Idol and was to bed by 9:30pm. :)
Thursday: Was hoping to do a 4 mile run this morning before school, but overslept a half hour past my usual wake-up time. Oops. So, I had to run before spin tonight. Since I knew I wasn't going to get in my hopeful 4 miles, I opted for doing a few intervals. (Doing a total of 2.25 miles)

  • 800 M warm-up jog = 5:31 (5.7 mph)
  • 200 M walk = 1:51
  • 400 M run = 2:29 (6.5)
  • 200 M walk = 1:50
  • 400 M run = 2:23 (6.7)
  • 200 M walk = 1:38
  • 400 M run = 2:17 (6.9)
  • 200 M walk = 1:36
  • 400 M run = 2:10 (7.4)
  • 400 M cool down jog = 3:00 (5.5)
After running, I grabbed my sports beans and hit the bike. All went well, was a little tired though. Intervals are probably not the best thing to do before spinning. I ended up spinning a total of 9.6 miles. Afterwards, I hit the weight room and worked on the arms. This teacher can't have those things jiggling when writing on the board... how embarassing!

Friday: I plan to run, and then lift legs. I would like to do it before school, but I don't know if that will happen! We'll see. I might have more time to do 4 miles and lifting after school without feeling rushed. That way I can do a thorough job!

One of my RT friends invited a bunch of us over to barbeque tonight at 7pm. I had told him earlier this week I was going to come, but that was before I realized that thursdays are usually my long work out day (2+ hours). I didn't get home until 7 and then showered and had to fill my body with some carbs. I knew that I wasn't going to drink or eat at the barbeque. I told him I didn't think I would make it as I needed to ice and eat some good pasta... He just told me he was disappointed! Will they ever get it? I am trying so hard to make a lifestyle change here, and I go and say NO one time and they don't get it. Peer pressure sucks, people!! As much as I would have loved to be hangin' out with all those guys tonight, I knew that I needed to take care of my body first. I wanted to ice and eat well so I could get in a nice run tomorrow. In the back of my mind I knew that I had a lot of paperwork that I wanted to get done tonight for my mentor to look over tomorrow. I am sick of trying to explain myself. They call me crazy! Crazy for running before spinning; crazy for being able to find time to workout 5 or 6 days a week with all of my classes and teaching; crazy for running... period. So, call me crazy. Call me crazy with a capital "C"! I don't care. You know why? Because I feel a whole lot better when I do it... and if that makes me crazy... so be it!

Happy Running, y'all! Tomorrow's friday... jeans day is here again!

P.S. Check out another one of my favorite songs below. Lucky Man by The Verve.


10 comments:

John said...

You're not crazy and if you are then I am,too. I've sort of followed your example and I'm running right before my circuit training class. And now I'm trying to bike on my off days. Keep up the good work. If they're really your friends they'll come around.

miss petite america said...

good for you for sticking to your guns. my friends were kind of the same way and then at some point they started to understand...just like i did when they got busy with law school or work or whatever...it all evens out.

and awesome job on the intervals. you're freakin' fast!

Wes said...

Crazy is as crazy does :-) He'll get over it. Give him a nice smile the next time you see him and all past transgressions will be forgotten! Happy weekend.

Neese said...

I am cracking up about "..this teacher can't have those things jiggling when writing on the board.." LOLOL!!!

You've been VERY busy and able to work in your body work too, you're doing awesome and you DO need to put yourself #1. They'll eventually get it :)

Joe said...

Nice intervals on Thursday.

I tried those sports beans recently and I decided that I don't like they way they taste. Too salty. But not the good kind of salty (e.g. salt and vinegar potato chips)

Now, as for all the "crazy" talk, all I can say is ask yourself if you have a good balance between exercise and the rest of your activities. If the honest answer is "yes", continue what you are doing. If the answer is "no", maybe you should start going to the occasional BBQ.

Anne said...

I would trade spaces with you but my weekends sound too similar. And I heard that song on the radio yesterday -- good pick!

Anonymous said...

We all have some crazy in us. That's why we run. :) Good for you for putting your health/fitness first. You know they're all jealous of your hard body. ;) Stay crazy! (It's what keeps us sane.)

JeffM said...

A good kind of Crazy! Way to stick with it.

Unknown said...

Good job with your intervals.

Now you wouldn't really expect the blog-reading crowd to think you were crazy, would you??

Ms Eva said...

I guess we're all crazy then... but I know exactly how you feel. Non-runners (or non-fitness minded folk for that matter) just don't get it. Feel proud that you make fitness a major part of your life as it should be. But as Joe said, there also needs to be balance. :)