3.01.2007

Quick..before the storm get's really bad..

I woke up this morning to the sound of my phone ringing. My first though was I slept through my alarm clock. Before answering I checked the time, 5:35?! What the heck. Here it was my mentor calling to tell me school was starting 2 hours late. Great. Let's go back to bed. Then, she called again at 7ish saying that she is playing the role of mother here and telling me to not go if I feel the roads are too bad... since I was driving alone. Okay. Back to bed. Again. 7:30 - phone rang again, school is canceled, weather is too ugly. Back to bed. Yeah, no school. And, we don't have school tomorrow since it was a scheduled day off for High School Girls Class B State Basketball Tournament! Nice long weekend, yeah!

I eventually got up and decided I should do something constructive. I checked the schedule for classes at the gym and the earliest time for spin on thursdays is 4:30. I didn't want to wait that long if the snow kept falling. So, I got ready and headed out the door a little after 11. Oh my. so much snow and so much in front of my garage door. I had to use this stupid little metal shovel to remove some of the snow into the parking lot so I could get out without getting stuck. It was almost up to my knees.

At this point, the roads were decent and it wasn't really snowing. I went to the gym and planned on being on the thrillmill for an hour. I had done this almost a month ago and got in 5.3 miles then. I wanted to see if I could do more. So, 60 minutes later, I looked at my mileage and was pleasantly please.... 5.57 miles! That's an average pace of 10:46 per mile! At the time I was feeling quite tired and so ready to be done. I stretched before leaving the gym, went to the grocery store for some odds and ends, fruit, milk, and frozen pizza. I am treating myself tonight! When I was leaving the grocery store, the snow was coming down in huge chunks of flakes! We still have our Storm Warning in effect until 10pm tonight and then it switches over to a Blizzard Warning from then until 6pm friday night. Wonderful. We haven't had a blizzard warning in a long time. The blizzard warning is mostly due to falling snow and extremely windy conditions along with nasty roads. I don't think I will be making it to the gym tomorrow. That's why I chose to do a long run today. If weather is permitting, I will be going on Saturday morning for a spin session.

Well, I am going to go and watch a movie to relax a bit and then get ready for my cousin's basketball game on tv! It's her senior year of high school and it just so happens that her team is playing the team from the school I work at! Go Lady Holstein's! Yep, their mascot is a cow, the New Salem Sue! What? You haven't heard of the world's largest cow? It's located right here in ND!

Check out the video I posted from youtube.com! I heart the Dixie Chicks and always have, despite some comments made about the war, we won't get into that. I am not saying I disagree with their thoughts or agree. I just love the song though. The lyrics are wonderful.

15 comments:

MNFirefly said...

Stay warm and out of the storm!

Wes said...

Nice run! You can so jump on the Team HM Express bandwagon!! Did you see the girl that sang that song last night on American Idol? I thought she did a good job, despite what the judges said...

Joe said...

Nice improvement on the thrillmill. Sorry about the snow.

Neese said...

i love that song! I've had it on my ipod for awhile, and it was with me during the 8k last weekend, love it.

Joe said...

Brutal weather...stay safe!

Fargo Half Marathon...sounds like fun and might be a good target...but, yeah, you have some other things, like graduation, in store, eh??

Go Lady Holstiens!!!!

akshaye said...

Nice run! Hope the weather eases up... I hate the "thrill mill" for long runs. Enjoy your long long weekend. And thanks really looking forward to the trip!

akshaye said...

yea.. i bet i would have the most interesting places to run in! actually plan to keep posting so stay tuned - makes the blog more exotic!

miss petite america said...

that snow sounds horrific. about as horrific as getting woken up 80 zillion times by your phone in the morning!!!

stay warm!

Jess said...

Hunker down and be careful with that blizzard!

Unknown said...

We're having a spate of bad weather down south, too. That plus being down with a nasty sore throat means relaxing at home for me. Enjoy your days off and hope you don't get too much snow.

J~Mom said...

Stay warm!! Part of me wishes winter would last just a hint longer around here. Great job on the treadmill!

Steve Stenzel said...

OK, the idea is that once you're snowed in, YOU DO NOTHING PRODUCTIVE!! Not this "going to the gym" crap!

This snow sucks. I shoveled for 2 hours this morning!

jeanne said...

awesome gruesomemill run! i can't seem to go faster than 12 min miles on that thing. it's all mental!

Anne said...

I suppose that might be a downside to teaching in San Diego: We never have snow days.

Mmem said...

Nice pace for such a long run!

And don't you love the multiple phone calls you get on a snow day? Grrrr!