3.02.2007

Change is good....

...right?

I like to think I enjoy change. Initially, when change occurs in my life, I can become a little tense or worried, but usually something good comes out of it.

Why does the process of change have to be so overwhelming?

I tend to become overwhelmed when I feel as if things are happening too fast around me. It's already March. I haven't done as much applying for jobs at this point as I would have liked, but there is nothing I can do about that now. My sister and I plan to move out of our apartment by the end of April. I will plan to stay with my aunt to ride out the last few weeks of work at school and then head home for my sister's wedding in June. And this, is why I hope to have a job in line before May. (Do you sense my tense voice?)

Change ... I think I need it.

Almost two years ago I took a position as a long-term substitute working with elementary students with learning disabilities. I loved my students, my co-workers, and the school. I couldn't have asked for a better school to work for. Then the position was filled with someone more qualified. I had to make a decision. With the help of my director/boss, I was able to get into one of the best graduate programs at UND and planned on working as a resident teacher the following year at another small town school under the same SpEd Unit... Thanks to my director. I wouldn't have planned on getting my masters in 1 year if it weren't for her helping me get my place in the program.

Change ... is it necessary to be such a big change?

I don't want to live in GF the rest of my life. It doesn't have what I would like in a town (running paths, bike trails, better weather, job opportunities) and I just don't want to be here anymore. Period.

Do I need to move halfway across the country to experience change?
Probably not.

If I don't, will I regret it?
Probably.

Can I come back to ND if I don't like it?
Most definitely.

I think some people worry that I will never come back.... but that is not true... I don't plan to stay away for ever.... And if I don't move to my dream location... I will definitely be doing some serious traveling....

....this girl just needs to spread her wings... and fly. Who knows where the Northwind will take me....

19 comments:

Neese said...

well if there's anything i can do to help you search down this way just let me know! You have a wonderful outlook and open mind and you are right change IS overwhelming, but often worth it

Mendy said...

I agree with Neese! SC is great, but I'm biased :-). I think it's great that you are just going to go where life takes you. Right now, you have so much freedom, it sounds like and just take full advantage of it. The majority of people out there fear it, and you're embracing it. Way to go!

Deb said...

What an exciting (and hectic) time in your life. I say spread those glorious wings and land where you will!!!!

Phil said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog.

You made the right decision to get your masters sooner than later. I waited until I was 40 something to start .. that was much tougher. In 70+ days, you'll have that behind you (go you!) and can get focused on building your career without fretting about grad school. You'll do great.

akshaye said...

Great post - I figure change will happen sooner or latter so you might as well initiate it and relish it.
I moved half way across the world to come to grad school. And once I'm done I'm ready to move on again. Do I always like it? No. Is it easy? Definitely not. But its a lot better than never having tried it.
Good luck with the job hunt!

JeffM said...

Great post- like Deb said- spread your wings and go! You're young, it's your time and your world!!

Unknown said...

Think of being able to run in the winter without dealing with snow. Think about the adventure. Think about all the cool new people you'll meet. Think about the awesome ways you can stay in touch with family. Think about what's best for you.

miss petite america said...

definitely spread you wings and get out there!! now's the best time to do it!!
good luck and i am SOOOOOOOOOO excited for you!

Taunya said...

You said it missy--nothing ever happens standing still. I HATE change--and now I'm almost 40 and realizing that sometimes you just got to take a chance and go for it. Yeah, it's scary as hell, but you come out stronger and you don't have the regret of not trying.

Good luck to you!

Wes said...

My little sis got a degree in chemical engineering at Auburn. She went to work in sales. She ended up working in finance on an internship in Hong Kong where she met her future husband. She traveled the world for a year after he lost his job. She got kicked off a bus in the jungles of Thailand. She got bit and infected by a monkey. She settled in San Fransisco and is now CEO of a small finance company.

Follow your dreams. Sometimes they guide you. Sometimes they pull you. Its OK to be unsure of the future, but knowing that everything will work out OK is priceless.

Unknown said...

Change / Marji's poem

"Change is good,
change is bad....
and happy
and sad
It's always hard to leave behind
the things you've loved for a lifetime.
Fond memories of things you knew
are treasures that you now cling to.
But looking forward you will find
that happiness and peace of mind
are one part living in the past
to ten parts happy where you're at.
Don't forget...add to the brew
a handful of dreams to come true."

- Robert Hann

Larissa said...

Fly! Now is the time to follow your dreams. If you don't do it now, you'll grow concrete roots and always wonder . . . what if. Great post! Best of luck in all your journeys - I look forward to following them!

Anonymous said...

Change IS good. It's hard, but it's good. :) I hope you find a location that suits you. Go for your dream location - now's your chance!

MNFirefly said...

Change is always good. It can come fast, like for me, or slow. Just embrace it!

Mmem said...

I know the Northeast always needs good, qualified special ed teachers.

Folks that work wtih students who learn differently have a special place in my heart:-) GL GL GL

jeanne said...

I have a good friend who reminds me that the regrets we have are usually about the things we didn't do, not so much the things we did do. You've done so much already, now spread your wings and fly fly fly! There's a whole great big world out there just waiting for YOU!

Anonymous said...

Good luck with the upcoming decisions and changes. Change can be hard sometimes, but it's usually worth it in the end!

Journey to a Centum said...

You should check out Bend Oregon as a potential "change" location. It's somewhat remote but offers great recreational opportunities. My wife and I have really enjoyed some trail runs in the area, mountain biking is big and of course skiing and snowshoeing in the winter months. The area is growing and there is a demand for teachers.

Cheers!

Nat said...

Change is sometimes that hardest thing. But, I think the hardest things are always the best things in the end.