1.21.2007

Healthy Obsession?

My workouts for Saturday and Sunday this week were make-up workouts from this past week...then there are going to be some changes from here on out starting Monday. (Read the rest of post to know what I am talking about.)

Saturday's Workout:
INTERVALS, 5x400 meters. LIFT. I think my arms are going to be nice and sore tomorrow!

800M warmup run - 5:05

400M run - 2:22 (6.9mph)
200M walk - 1:42

400M run - 2:15 (7.2 mph)
200M walk - 1:41

400M run - 2:10 (7.5 mph)
200M walk - 1:38

400M run - 2:00 (7.8 mph)
200M walk - 1:30

400M run - 1:48 (8.0 mph)
200M walk - 1:24

800M cooldown run - 5:34 (5.5mph)

Total Miles --> 2.88

Looking at my intervals from last week, I have done better on speed for both the running and walking! I am having a hard time with getting the time right. By the time I get the thrillmill up to the speed I want to run at, it has gone .02 miles and taken about 20 seconds. Maybe I will have to try it with my stopwatch.


Sunday's Workout: 3.1 miles on the wonderful thrillmill!
Mile 1
: 11:17
Mile 2: 10:54
Mile 3: 11:12 (had to walk 1/5 of a mile)
Mile .1: 0:52
Total time = 34:15 (11:02 avg. page)

.25 mile cooldown walk -> Total Distance = 3.35 miles

*Kind of sore. I probably pushed myself too hard after a hard set of intervals yesterday. Arms and pecs are tender today, but a good tender. Quads felt a little tight. I don't think I stretched, iced, or drank enough water yesterday (especially with the consumption of a few coctails last night!).


Monday: REST DAY! Will definitely be needed!


__________________________
Okay, so I start to stress out when I am not able to juggle work, school, and my running. Actually, I start to freak out. It becomes an obsession. I guess it could be worse. I could be obsessing over "unhealthy" habits.

But, after a well needed weekend of rest away from school, working out, and a little fun in between, I took some time to look over my running/workout schedule, trying to figure out what wasn't working. It's just no feasable for me to workout 7 days a week. I don't know what I was trying to do, but it was crazy. I can't run 4 days a week, spin 2 days a week, do pilates 2 days a week, and lift 2 days a week. Just not going to happen. And I have accepted that. Done.

With that accceptance, I feel a huge weight lifted off my shoulders. I hate to admit it, but it doesn't take much for this chica to stress out. I guess I just put too much on my plate and wear myself out trying to do it all.

I am a woman who needs a schedule. I obsess over schedules (just like making lists). It feels good to know that I am not the only runner in bloggerland who needs a schedule. I am right there with you, Tara! So, I ripped apart my schedule, and this is what I have decided:
  • Monday will be a day of REST and Stretching. - I have class from 4-9 so this only seems to make sense. It will be well deserved after an eventful Sunday (see below).
  • Tuesday will be my day of INTERVALS or TEMPO runs. - I have a couple hours between school and class, so why not use it wisely.
  • Wednesday will be my SPIN day. I will attempt to do some lifting those days as well, since I do not have class and I can take my time. I am hoping Spin will help me with my endurance for my long runs.
  • Thursday will be another REST day. If I am feeling up to it, that being I am not too tired, I will ponder CROSS TRAINING or doing my PILATES or TURBO JAM video.
  • Friday will be my 3.1 MILES day. - I don't usually like to workout fridays, but I have enough time to do this in the morning, clock my splits, and get my Friday dose of coffee all before heading out of town for work! That way I can feel as if I accomplished something and be able to enjoy my evening!
  • Saturday will be another REST/XT day. We'll see how I feel that morning before deciding whether or not I will do anything. All I know is I won't feel guilty if I don't becuase Sunday will be my hard day!
  • Sunday will be my LONG(er) run day. I will keep in mind that I can switch this day with Saturday if necessary. Along with the LONG run I will LIFT again and squeeze in my weekly session with Mari Winsor for some feel good work on my powerhouse (Pilates).

"Be led by your dreams, not pushed by your problems." ~ Roy Williams, UNC Tarheels Coach

Happy running, y'all! Enjoy your obsessions!

13 comments:

Neese said...

ok now you've inspired me to up my speed on intervals that last one you smoked! excellent work! (aren't they fun i just love intervals) your new plan sounds sensible. You are doing good things for yourself and finding that balance is one of them, you're awesome :o)

Wes said...

Sweet, sweet intervals! You did indeed smoke them!! I like your new schedule. I know what it's like to be have 100 things to do and only have time for 75. Since my primary goal is running, all the cross training I do has to fit in around that schedule. If I don't get to it, then too bad. One of the nice things about living where you do is you might go into maintenance mode during the winter, and run only two days, and then enjoy some of your other activities. I like your schedule though. I hope it works out well for you.

MNFirefly said...

Nice intervals!! It's good to be on a plan, but you should leave some room for modification if needed or your schedule gets busy one day.

Mmem said...

First off, great job on the intervals. I have not yet ventured into this exciting territory...wow! Bravo! Loved the way your times got faster, too (or maybe it was SUPPOSED to do that??? I know nothing...).

Secondly, I think that schedule looks like a reasonable one. You cannot become an exercise drone at the expense of your LIFE! Love your xtraining ideas, too, I need to start working that in more as well.

Keep it up girl. From the sound of your frustration, looks like this schedule change will suit you! GL!

SRR said...

Obsessions...good as long as they are healthy?

Faithful Soles said...

My name is Robert Key and I am an avid runner from Houston, Texas. I have seen several of your posts on other people's blogs, and I went and read yours and enjoyed it very much.

I have a web site http://www.faithfulsoles.com which is dedicated to inspiring, encouraging and motivating walkers, runners and athletes of all abilities, and we are launching a Running Blog Database this week where members of our site can find and read blogs that most closely fit their own ability and goals (you can read more about it on the web site).

I would be grateful if you would register a link to your running blog with my web site for our members to read (it only takes about 2-3 minutes to complete the online form). From the home page, under "Free Features" in the lefthand column, just click on "Link your running blog".

If you would like more information on my running background and involvement in the running community, click on “Meet Robert” from the main menu, or “Faithful Soles in the news” from the Weekly Features section in the lefthand column.

Thanks and continued good luck in your training.

J~Mom said...

From one list girl to another I totally understand what you are saying! Your schedule looks great!! And, your intervals look awesome!!

Deb said...

I'm with you on the sceduling...Sometimes it's out of control. What time I get to sleep (so I can GET UP) in the morning. My workouts. when to start and when I'll finish. YIKES!!! Be careful to balance (or at least try) or it will eat you alive. ;)

Joe said...

Solid thinking...and good planning. That is a workable week's schedule. You do a good job of alternating hard and easy days, plus making it fit your life.

This will help!!

Anne said...

Not only is it unattainable, it's unhealthy to work out every day. The body and brain need a rest some times. That said, when did you get so good at those intervals?!

miss petite america said...

that schedule sounds like a dream! and i don't know ANYONE, even professional athletes who work out 7 days a week! so don't beat yourself up. the proper amount of rest is probably one of the most important components!

good luck with the new schedule! can't wait to see how much you kick ass!

Joe said...

I think your new schedule is sensible. I don't think it's healthy to exercise 7 days a week. Your body AND your mind need at least 1 or two rest days a week.

Good job on the intervals.

a.maria said...

" I hate to admit it, but it doesn't take much for this chica to stress out."

damn girl, i hear ya!