8.31.2006

Research project

Okay, now I have officially had two weeks of night classes under my belt. Am I allowed to be overwhelmed yet?

School started last thursday, and I just started seeing ONE of my students today. On top of that, when we just thought we were getting things finished with scheduling, we were informed that 7th period, which was math with 2 of my students, has now been switched to 3rd period.

That was just a little tiny piece of information that we should have been informed of. Now, we have to make some changes not only to my schedule, by my mentor's and the paraprofessionals!

I JUST WANT TO WORK WITH MY STUDENTS!

I am sick of scheduling. I HATE doing the schedules!!

Tonight I had my class called Action Research. Yes. ACTION RESEARCH. Nice.

Like most people, I was not totally thrilled with the idea of having to take a research class, let alone one at the graduate level. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind papers...but RESEARCH papers!?!?

But, I have a feeling I am really going to enjoy this course. Yep. There are 7 students (since many of the RT's dropped due to FEAR). We are planning from here on out to meet at the coffee shop on campus for class instead of in a big classroom.

But..... I am stuck. Yep. Really stuck.

I have to think of what I am going to do for my action research project, and I am having a really hard time thinking of an area to really focus on. Maybe you all out there could give me some ideas, or help... First, let me give you a little background on what action research is....

Action research is a form of self-reflective enquiry undertaken by participants (eg: educators) in order to improve a) their own educational practices, b) their understanding of these practices, and c) the situations in which the practices are carried out. Action research is the systematic study of attempts to improve educational practise by groups of participants by means of their own practical actions and by means of their own reflection upon the effects of those actions.

To sum it up: Action research is to identify an area of focus, collect data, analyze and intepret data, and then to develop a plan of action.


For example, let's say your students in your class are not progressing in essay writing as you had hoped. This would be the area of focus to research, collect data, intepret and develop a plan.

I am really struggling with an idea. Our professor wanted an idea tonight, and told us it might change a few times before we stick to one. I guess an example that was thrown out there was something along the lines of what is the best way to teach reading: the whole-word approach or phonics?

I DON'T KNOW WHAT I AM GOING TO DO!

I want to do something that is going to be benificial for not only me as a teacher, but my students as well.

I guess something that I brought up had to do with how much a child's environment effects their learning. For example, let's say we have a student who was labeled ED in another school, has transfered to a new school, and shows NO signs of an Emotional Disturbance. Could it be possible that her past school environment played a huge role in her being "labeled" ED?

I guess I will have to sleep on this project. Did I happen to mention that I am mentally drained right now? I can only imagine what kind of zombie I will be in a couple months!

4 comments:

Neese said...

i say you start planning now for some spa time this weekend, long bath, glass of wine, time to soak and just be.

Anonymous said...

I just started reading your blog so I am not sure of the age of your sts. (high school?), but when I was getting my Masters' in Ed. a couple of yrs ago I did my action research on implementing direct social skills instruction (various programs) during the day with my ED sts. The "data" was referrals,observations, etc. I was teaching middle school Sp.Ed. at the time. Just a thought!:)

Donald said...

"action research" sounds corny, like they're trying to make it more exciting. Was "extreme research" already taken?

Wish I had some ideas for you, but my research days are far behind me. Thankfully.

Brooke said...

I had to read the part about you seeing one of your students a few times before I realized what you were talking about.
It's late, my mind stopped working an hour ago.