2.25.2007

Winter Wonderland

It's still snowing here, but it is beautiful. I left my apartment just before, heading for the gym, and realized how nice it was outside. If the sidewalks were cleared, I would have ran outside. It is 25 degrees with really no wind. Which is rare for this city.

Gym opens at noon on sunday's and I arrived shortly after noon. There were a dozen people standing outside and a few still sitting in their cars. Gym wasn't open yet. Waited. Waited. Waited. Then the dozen people standing at the doors headed back towards their cars and left. What the heck?! So, I left. I guess the gym wasn't meant to be today. So I headed home.

On the way home, I was thinking about how I have lived here for almost 8 years and it will be weird to leave. Leave GF and leave ND. I have only applied for one job, but still plan on leaving the state. Atleast for a year. Like I told my mother last night on the phone, if I don't like it, I can always come back. I still have a lot of applying to do. I want to give myself a world of options.

To the right ... campus ... with the dorm I lived in my freshman and sophomore year being on the bottom left side of the picture. Memories...

Wannabe5ker asked me if I am still able to drink coffee with the BestLife lifestyle change...

.... well, Mr Greene doesn't say that you have to cut coffee, juices, and others out completely, but you still need to drink at least 6 1/2 glasses of water a day for these important reasons:

  • those who drink 6 1/2 glasses of water a day consume close to 200 fewer calories per day.
  • caffiene dehydrates the body
  • water is good for the muscles with recovery
  • water keeps us from grabbing unecessary snacks
I don't drink much coffee. Maybe once or twice a week. But, I do know that when I do drink it, I can see how it dehydrates the body.

Today's workout: 40 minutes of Turbo Jam, consisting of free weights, lunges, and other nasty moves...

Happy running, y'all!

12 comments:

Neese said...

the fallen snow is absolutely beautiful. I certainly agree with Bob on the water all those seem to hold true for me, and I heard recently that water "lubricates the joints", so that's gotta be good too, right?

Glad you found a program and that will go along nicely with your existing workout routines.

Anonymous said...

Its snowing here in Chicago as well. I think leaving ND is a good choice. I left St Louis almost 4 years ago which I thought was just going to be a fun year to find myself and then head home. Well I found myself, fell in love, and now have the best job ever. Hope you find what you are looking for.

Joe said...

Thanks for the pix!! I've never seen UND campus before. And 25 must feel very nice there.

Hope the water deal holds up well for you!

Wes said...

Beautiful pics... You are young. You have the gift of time. Take your time. Take some chances. You have a place to come home to. All good things in moderation right? I don't think I could entirely give up coffee. I am down to 2 cups a day though :-)

Steve Stenzel said...

What are "other nasty moves"?!?!

I'm intrigued.

It snowed a BUTTLOAD here (Twin Cities) too. It was a pain. It's no Winter Wonderland here!

Mmem said...

Thanks for the answer to my question, and I just love the winter wonderland photo. My SIL grew up in GF and still has a major soft spot for the place in her heart, so I can see why you love it there!

miss petite america said...

pictures like that actually make me miss the snow!

and turbojam sounds freakin' awesome!!

J~Mom said...

It's just beautiful there!! I agree with Wes! You have so many options but it will still be a bit scary!!

I am increasing my water and the coffee is decreasing naturally. I can't drink both at the same time (I would if I could, LOL). I am hoping that this summer I get down to one-two cups a day. You don't even want to know how many I started at. Ack!

Anonymous said...

I love the pics! It almost makes winter seem not so terrible..... almost, but not quite!

Unknown said...

I love the snow. I love it even more that when it snows here the schools are usually closed. I could use a snow day or two to get caught up. Good luch with the application process and there are plenty of jobs here in Washington, especially in special education.

JeffM said...

Beautiful pictures, looks serene. Great pic of the school also.
Very important to get enough water.

Anne said...

Those pictures and your description of windless air reminds me of one of the best runs I ever had last year around this time in the snow. And keep drinking the water. It's all good.