2.20.2007

Building Self-Esteem

Today was my long day of the week. I think sometimes I make it longer. I teach all day. Head to the gym to workout and then go to class until about 10pm. By the time I get home and settle down, I am so wound up from the day, that it takes me quite a while to fall asleep, so I usually do some blog reading to tire my eyes.

Tonight was Spin night. I like doing Spin on tuesdays rather than wednesday. It gives me a better chance of getting it in two times a week. This way, I can spin on thursday too. So, tonight I met my sister at the gym. I somewhat wanted to lift first but remembered last tuesday's spin session and the resistance band. Nope. Wasn't going to lift. So we warmed up with a nice 1 mile jog and then went to spin. It felt great. I took Jodi's advice and lowered my seat a bit. I asked my sister if my knee was somewhat bent and she said "barely". Huh? I was only able to lower the seat about a 1/2 inch more before it was all the way down! But, I lowered it a little more and began peddling. What a wonderful workout! 8.68 miles later, I was feeling it all...the running and spinning! Doing both really works all parts of the legs! I can see why triathletes love what they do!

On an educational note, in class tonight we talked about building self-esteem in our students. We did an activity where we had to put our name on top of a piece of paper, pass it around and everyone had to write something about us on that paper. Yes people, these are the kind of things we do in class.... don't make fun! So, on an ending note... here is the list that was written beneath my name:

  • kind hearted
  • great friend
  • I like your hair color - is it natural? - - > is this for real?
  • I enjoy your outgoing personality
  • funny
  • you rock girl! I love your energy and enthusiasm!
  • cute
  • I love the way you are always punctual! :)
  • Sincere and honest!
  • always willing to help and know what's going on.
  • ambitious (where do you find time to workout?)
  • I love your obnoxious laugh - I heart you! - - > This could only come from my obnoxious laughing partner!
Happy running, y'all! Tomorrow is a rest day!

15 comments:

MNFirefly said...

Awesome workout today! :D

Mmem said...

WTG on the jog and the spinning!!!!

I have done that activity with my class, too, and the kids usually think it's silly but cute. I saved my paper from last time I did it:-)

Wes said...

I think I'm going to lower my bike seat a tad too, to offset some pulling I'm feeling in my knees. I like your obnoxious laugh too ;-)

Neese said...

sounds like an awesome workout!! i'm starting to feel like a loaf lately i really need to schedule more cross-training workouts! love the self-esteem activity! your class obviously thinks very highly of you! great list!

miss petite america said...

aw geez!? running AND spinning on the same day? back to back?! what are you a bionic woman?!

Jess said...

I love the idea of people writing nice things about me!

Blaine and Steph said...

I'm hearing that obnoxiuous laugh in my head right now...hahahaha, oh its great! and wow...the first time I'm actually sore from spinning, yay! she's a killer, what two 30 sec breaks in a half hour, and freezing for half of the time! yup, definitely got a good ass and quad workout! (this time I was dripping). I wonder how Jill's feeling?! oh and who knew holding just your own arms in the air could be so damn hard??? oh I love hard workouts! Tuesdays from now on!!!
laters!

Joe said...

Nice list of attributes!

J~Mom said...

I love that list!! Awesome workout!! That is so great that you got the seat to a better spot!

Joe said...

Nice list!! And, hey, if you get credit for it as well, why not??!!

Deb said...

I love the way you're always so punctual! (in getting your training in!) I get tired just reading all you do in a day. Be careful to rest so that there's enough left on the candle of yours!

JeffM said...

Sounds like a great brick workout!
Really like the list, the kids like you.

Anne said...

I like that activity, and I'm sure you liked the comments people wrote about you. All true, I'm sure!

Anonymous said...

Sorry its been long time since I first posted. Gone through some twists and turns, anyways You always seems "sincere" and honest" to me among the some of the phoney/bitchy women bloggers on here !:)

Jodi said...

I hope the seat change helps your knees! Should give you more power, too. Your quads are much stronger than your hamstrings.

:-)

Jodi