2.27.2007

Just wonderful....

It's coming. .. ... I don't know when, but it is coming. As I drove home from class tonight (approximately 9:50pm)... I could see it. In the sky. It's definitely there. But is it going to share with us? It's that icky color. The color you get when you mix red and green and maybe a little grey. It's that grey-ish brown color. Why is it that color? From what I have learned, it is that color because it is so abundant and so low(close the the ground). Yes. I know it is coming. Some said that it will either by-pass us or just "fizzle" out. .. .. ... last week they didn't tell us it was coming, until it was too late. Now they have been telling us about is since I cracked open my eyes this morning.... .. . . take a look for yourself...

... Winter Storm Watch remains in effect from Wednesday afternoon through Friday afternoon...

Snow will spread into the area Wednesday afternoon and could become heavy by evening. Snow totals by Thursday morning may be in excess of 6 inches. Roadways may become snow covered and icy. Visibilities could be reduced due to heavy falling snow.

Light snow will continue through Thursday... with another round of heavy snow returning to the area Thursday night. Additional accumulations could result in storm total snow amounts between 8 and 12 inches... with isolated areas having the potential of seeing up to 18 inches. Gusty north winds are expected to develop on Friday and may reduce visibility in blowing and drifting snow.

A Winter Storm Watch means there is a potential for significant snow and wind. This storm has the potential to make travel very hazardous or even impossible for an extended time.
I know it just a Watch, but in this state, you never know. Plus, the driving conditions haven't been the best already this week, especially on the two-lane, 11 miles, near-to-none visibility, pillow-pocketed road of hell... Anyway. Especially that darn wind. Ugly... just plane ugly. And, there are really NO shelter belts along the roads I drive on which makes it worse when it is windy. Any... I am driving alone. My mentor is home with a sick child, and I am driving alone. All. Alone.

Thank God we have friday off.

On a lighter note, tonight I hit up the gym. I had a little bit of a headache this afternoon and felt that it was due to dehydration, so I attempted to drink as much as possible between noon and 3... Once I got to the gym, I had plenty of time before the 530 spin class so I decided to do some running, figuring out how far I would go after a few minutes on the thrillmill. Well, to my surprise all was wonderful and I kept it up. I had just enough time to do 3.1 miles (in 35:15) before hitting the bike. Yeah! Then I was a little apprehensive. I didn't know if I was going to be able to make it on the bike for a near 50 minutes after 35 minutes on the thrillmill. I wish I would have brought in some powerade or something. I got on the bike and boy I felt great! I went all out ... as usual .. until the last 5 minutes. I was just getting tired and couldn't put much effort forward. Total bike miles = 10.2! But, all and all, the overall workout was great. Unfortunately I had to hurry, shower, grab something to eat, and head to class. The only option for dinner was subway and lets just say that gave me some pretty bad stomach cramps.

Does anyone have a good ideas as to what I should be eating before and after a workout like the such? I felt as if I could have used some more pre- and post- "fuel"!

Happy running, y'all!

*UPDATE* Got out of school, at about 2ish, but by the time I packed up and was ready to go, it was already 230. Roads were okay and it is beautiful back here in GF. I don't know what is going to happen with this so-called "storm"... we'll just have to wait and see. I am going to go and pop in a movie and take a nap... not feeling to hot. Darn stomach crampage goin' on...

14 comments:

J~Mom said...

Oh man, I hope it stays away! I almost got butterflies from the way you described the sky!

Great question about what to eat. I am going to check back to see what others say. I always start with a protein bar about an hour before my morning runs and I am not sure if that is the best. It works so far though.

Great workout!

miss petite america said...

i need to channel some of your energy to be able to do two workouts in one gym visit!!

as far as the eating, i am best on an empty stomach which is why i prefer to workout in the morning. but i would say something like a pb sandwich and a piece of fruit would be good...or a gel if you don't want to feel full. and they say chocolate milk is great nutrition for after workouts and it's worked for me!

Joe said...

Fuel...probably good to experiment a bit to see what works for you. Some ideas that work for some people though:

--a bottle of Gatorade
--a granola bar
--soy chocolate milk. Some triathalets I know swear by this. Protein and a few carbs and tends to sit well on the stomach.
--Fruit (my favorite)...just an apple can really help.

Experiment!!

Wes said...

Ahhhh. The weatherman just said winter was over here. I feel for you. All the gurus I read say eat and drink within thirty minutes of exercising. It helps rebuild those muscles. In addition, Galloway, I think recommended a certain protein to carb ratio. You might be able to find it on his site. I think a Granola bar or this healthy snack mix is a good thing.

Neese said...

everyone is different... like Joe said in finding what's best for you.

I know for me, I NEED to have eaten lunch the day of my workout, which always includes a banana, and sometimes yogurt, along with sandwich.

And, right before the run I squeeze back a GU.

After the run I have a glass of Organic chocolate milk (If i have it)... most times it's so close to dinner time that I use dinner as my recovery meal.

keith said...

thrill mill...

ha!

Joe said...

Did you see Jared at Subway? Is he still thin?

Pre-workout - Hmn, I like fruit, juice, whole wheat bagels or bread, etc.

Post-workout - You should get some protein into you to repair muscles. I like to eat a can of tuna or a glass of milk with whey protein powder. Tuna is a relatively low-cal, high protein food...and it tastes good too. I also try to eat a banana.

Larissa said...

Awesome workout!!

I agree with the other posts that you have to see what works for you. I find that when I eat well in general, I have more energy for workouts.

Otherwise - before: apple and almond butter or just half a banana. after: raisins and sunflower and pumpkin seeds or my favorite smoothie (it has spinach in it so it looks gross but tastes great!)

ps - thanks for stopping by my blog!

Danielle in Iowa in Ireland said...

I love it when the sky is like that! We have a blizzard warning down here - I still get excited about that, even though the university doesn't give snow days :-)

Jess said...

Doesn't it suck to get so much winter this late?

JeffM said...

Out here in Oregon we're getting snow up high and snow that doesn't stick to hail down low.
I use a Power Bar gel before and Accelerade during and Cliff bar or smoothie after.
Add a 500 yard swim and you almost did a sprint tri.

Mendy said...

Teacherwoman, Thanks for stopping by my new blog. I've enjoyed reading yours, and if you don't mind, I'd like to put a link to it on my blog. I like your workouts!

As far as food, like many have mentioned, everyone is different. For me, If it's a race I'm doing, I like to have a nutrition bar (south beach diet bars taste delicious to me, and I can even fuel w/that on a long run). Now, I will be running on an empty stomach to help loose some weight. After a run, I enjoy a spoonful of peanut butter. Yummy!

Don't forget to catch up on AI. Chris was wonderful!

Mendy

Mendy said...

Thanks! I definately don't mind at all! Have a wonderful evening! Mendy

akshaye said...

hey, thanks for checking out my blog! glad the weatherman got it all wrong about the storm. about food... I like to stick with a sandwich (peanut butter) a couple of hours before working out and a banana after. watered down gatorade is great with a particularly intense session.