2.13.2007

I HEART life

Before I get into the main purpose of this post, I want to quick make a comment about my injury. I have to give my Mom some credit here (and Wes) for putting in my head that my difficulties with my leg could possibly be stemming from Spin. Oddly enough. My Mom had mentioned to me that she struggles with bicycling becuase it bothers her knees (but she is able to run half marathons)... and then Wes had mentioned how when one gets on their bike, you use different muscles and can also injure different parts of the body. So, tonight I went to the gym hoping to get in a Spin class at 430 but didn't get there in time. So I had an hour to kill before the next class and chose to do some walking. I walked a little over a mile and then decided to test the running. I will admit, I was scared, but I did it. I went a mile and decided to stop. I didn't want to push it and knew I was going to Spin so I didn't want to wear myself out. All and all, I put on 2.25 miles on the thrillmill. Afterwards I grabbed a bike, adjusted everything to meet my needs and started moving. Yep. Kinda felt it. That feeling behind the back of my knee on the outside. Not pain. Just tightness. What the heck! I pushed through and did 8.6 miles. Tuesday night Spin is a whole lot different then Wednesday night (besides the different instructor). Tonight I knew it was going to be difficult when she passed out those elastic stretch bands. Oh boy. We used those to strengthen our arms while cycling slower a couple times throughout the session. Hence the reason why I only put on 8.6 miles. But, it was wonderful and I am already feeling the soreness in my arms! So, I came home tonight after class, stretched, iced and will be looking further into why my leg is bothering me. I am almost sure it is Spin now... but I don't want to quit that either!


Once again...Valentine's Day is pretty much here. Ah, the over-commercialized big day of the year! Don't get me wrong, I love the big Valentine's Day, but sometimes it can be too overrated! And I am not just saying that becuase I am single... Even when dating, it wasn't that great. With being single this year (first time in 5 years) I am going to make the most of it with a couple friends...I think! Dinner and a glass of wine? In honor of Valentine's Day, I made a list of things I love...to remind me of what is important in life!

  1. LIFE!
  2. My parents - they have given me so much and I must say they did a wonderful job on molding me into the superb adult I am today! ;)
  3. My sistas! Oh how I have learned so much from them as they are both so different...as we all three have our differences...and similarities as well!
  4. The rest of my family... sometimes we all take for granted how lucky we are to be so close!
  5. My lovely friends.. Those near and far.... Those who support me in my running ups and downs, ins and outs (RBFer's, family and other friends)... Those who are there to wind down with after a long and stressful week, especially my "shaken' on the dancefloor partner, k-dog".... Those who I can vent to, because they know exactly what I am going through...
  6. Did I mention LIFE???
  7. I HEART learning... Education was probably the best field for me to go into... I will be required to constantly educate myself to become the best teacher I can be... next on my list of education: work towards my ASD credential (Autism Spectrum Disorder)
  8. My students...oh how I have learned so much from them and hope that they learn a little in return!
  9. I love watching my sports... especially basketball... I HEART my Tarheels!
  10. I love being active. Running... cycling (spinning)... swimming... (basketbal, volleyball, etc.) ... Is there a possibility of a Tri in the future???
Happy Valentine's Day, y'all!

14 comments:

miss petite america said...

happy valentine's day chica! from one single gal to another :)

Jodi said...

Oooh, oooh, I can help you!

If your pain is behind your knee, then your spinning seat is TOO HIGH.

At the bottom of your pedal stroke you need to still have a bend in your knee. I struggled with the same thing... moved my seat down- no more knee problems.

Good luck!

Jodi

Neese said...

I hope Jodi's tip works for you and you are able to do ALL the sports activities you enjoy!

Happy Valentine's Day sweet blog buddy! :o)

Mmem said...

What a beautiful list of loved ones!

And anyone who works with ASD folks is an angel on Earth. I mean that.

Happy Valentine's Day!

Anne said...

I heart your list.

Jess said...

V-Day doesn't have to limit itself to romantic love: there's all kinds of love and I'm glad you celebrate it all!

Wes said...

Yay! Jodi's the bomb!! Don't stop spinning. Figure it out!

Happy Valentines Day!

JeffM said...

Hopefully it's Jodi to the rescue. I do spinning class on my own bike set up on a trainer- that way I don't have to adjust anything.
Great list.
Being a single guy- I ignore Valentine's day, other than to give my daughter some chocolate.

MNFirefly said...

Very nice list. Hang in there with the knee issues. Ice, ice!

Brooke said...

Happy valentines day to you too.
I'm loving life right now too. Let's hope this feeling lasts.

J~Mom said...

What a nice list!!

Happy Valentine's Day!

I hope Jodi's ideas help!

Steve Stenzel said...

YES, there IS a tri in your future!

Lance Notstrong said...

Jodi's right. You could be hyper extending your leg with every pedal stroke.

Joe said...

What a great list!! We all have much to be thankful for!!!