6.09.2007

Down the beaten path

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.


-Ralph Waldo Emerson




Today I ventured out on the bike. I knew I wanted to do the same loop my sister ran the other day; the one that runs by our elementary school. Mostly because I wanted to know the distance, but I always wanted to see some old territory. But, I knew 4 or 5 miles wasn't going to cut it on the bike. So instead, I took the bike path north of our house, along the river.It was somewhat cloudy with a cool breeze when I went out, but I felt it warm up a bit on the way back in. What a great morning for a ride. My legs were somewhat jello-y when I got back. A sure sign that it has been way to long since I have been on a bike.


This picture is part of the path that we take during the Annual Turkey Trot Race Thanksgiving morning. It's usually not this beautiful during that time of the year (or green), but it was nice last year. We have gotten so much rain in the month of May, and now June, that statistics show that we have gotten more moisture in the past 6 weeks then we do during the whole year. I can tell. Everything is sooo green, and the river is higher.
This is a picture of the Riverboat. I starts at Meriwethers and heads down the river to the area of Custer's House. There's a lot of history there.

This is the path that we (as elementary kids) would run for "the mile" in the spring every year. I hated that. But, there is a cool dip in the path that was really fun on rollerblades!

And, lastly... this is the elementary school I attended from 1st grade thru 6th grade. What a beautiful school! How I would love to teach there!


_______________________________________________

I have been thinking about biking lately .... And, when I get a job, I plan to trade in my Trek for a nicer bike, if you know what I mean.....



Temp: 67 degrees and partly cloudy
Distance: 12.05 miles on Bike
Duration: 55:29
Avg HR: 157
Max HR: 170

9 comments:

Taunya said...

Very pretty course! Nice workout too. Your heart-rate is right on target!

J~Mom said...

Sweet ride!! It is just beautiful there! I know exactly what you mean about needing a job to get a new bike. ;>)

Unknown said...

All your pictures are so pretty. It must really be lovely to run/bike or whatever where you are at right now.

Scott McMurtrey said...

i guess that really was a walk (bike) down memory lane. :) and you're right it is very green there. very nice photos!

akshaye said...

you have the most beautiful places to run/bike in. and the title for your post was perfect!

Anonymous said...

I'm so jealous that you live in such a beautiful place. I bet it makes working out a bit easier ;-)

Marcy said...

You always have great pics! Beautiful area!! Great job on that bike ride!!! ;D ;D

Jess said...

What a nice ride down memory lane!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for reading my blog!

And yes, giving up regular soda is hard! That's why I'm going slow. I remember when I got my wisdom teeth out, I couldn't drink soda for a week. The headaches were horrible!!