3.12.2007

Easy AND Fun!

With the beautiful weather (snow melting) and not having class tonight, I was able to get out for a nice run before dinner. Yes, outdoors! Probably the first since my 5K on New Year's Eve! Actually, with the time change, I could have gone for a 3 hour run after school. . . . if I wanted to. That is quite a change from a couple months ago when we were lucky if the sun was up past 5pm. Since it is a rare occasion to run outdoors during winter up here in ND (especially when I have a rule that I will not do it in the dark and when the temperature is below 30 degrees), I had a hard time deciding how to dress. It was 40 degrees when I got home from school. Not the 56 they said it was going to be, but it was definitely nice enough to take advantage of. Eventually, I put on an older pair of yoga pants, one of my running shirts, old Nikes, heart rate monitor, garmin, ipod and then my fleece sweatshirt. Plus, I grabbed my camera. Phew.

I left the apartment and headed north on my 3 mile loop. This is the same loop I did quite often this past summer. I became quite hot real fast, as the sun was beating down on me, but I didn't care. I was actually comfortable outdoors. On the way back, it was a little cooler as I found myself running under trees that were blocking the sun.


There were times where I found myself jumping over puddles or
snowbanks. And then there were times I would end up running through puddles that didn't look too deep, initially. Sometimes I found myself running on the street to avoid huge puddles on the sidewalks .... only to find myself being splashed purposefully by some guy. But I was okay with that. I just smiled and waved and went on my merry way. It was nice out. I was enjoying it.

All and all, 3 miles felt great.
Now, I need to go work on my brackets for March Madness! Yippee! I can't wait for the games to begin!

10 comments:

Deb said...

How fun and pretty that looks. It's been hot (92 yesterday!?) and fires today. To dry and not enough rain. Have fun girlie!

Unknown said...

I totally love running outside and cannot stand the treadmill.

May you have good weather and many happy outdoor runs for you in the near future!!!

Wes said...

I loved the fact you loaded up with technological wonders :-) Wouldn't it be nice to have a GPS, HRM, iPod, and camera in one handy gadget! All for 19.99 :-) Nice run too! Luved the pics....

Jess said...

Climate differences are so funny, because I have to now wait for the sun to begin setting so that it's cool enough to run. This means that by July, I'll be back to running at 9 pm.

Joe said...

> I put on an older pair of yoga
> pants, one of my running shirts,
> old Nikes, heart rate monitor,
> garmin, ipod and then my fleece
> sweatshirt. Plus, I grabbed my
> camera. Phew.

Doh! You forgot your Batman utility belt!

miss petite america said...

nice run! from a former treadmill lover, i now love love love running outside. though it could be because i moved to better climate :)

hope the weather keeps up!

Mendy said...

Good job! I am an outside runner too, who used to (for years) only run on a treadmill. Now, I only do it under extreme circumstances. I love the outdoors!

BTW, I have my garmin and nano with me at all times. I know I look silly, but, I enjoy running with my gadgets.

Pics were cool!

MNFirefly said...

I love this snow melt. Yayyyy! Nice job on the run!

J~Mom said...

I bet it felt awesome out there!! I can just feel how happy you were to be running outdoors. Thanks for the pics, you know I love them!

Mmem said...

I am WITH you on not being a fan of running below 30 degrees! WTG on that 3 miler, sounds like a great run!