5.22.2007

A Run in the Sun

I was complaining in my last post about the weather being icky this week. As of yesterday, it was still gorgeous. When I got home from school, I went out for my first run in a week and a half. The sun was very warm with the temperature being in the high 70's. The humidity was fairly high, as I could feel it weighing my hair down. There was a noticeable wind, but not like the cold wind we usually get. This wind was one that I felt pushing me on my way out and slightly cooling me off on my way back in. Overall, it was a very successful and enjoyable 2.5 miles.

I started with a nice walk for a few minutes to warm up the old muscles. Once I started running I was immediately paying attention to how I landed on my feet and what direction they were facing. I know that prior to this run, I would land on my heel a lot. For some reason, I thought that was the "right" way. Wrong. My feet were facing straight ahead, which is good. I noticed that landing on the middle of my foot felt better as I ran and was better on my knees! Great success! I did the run5/walk1 method with a longer walk break towards the end. It was hot. I had to.

After my run, I tested a new drink. New to me. I tried the EAS AdvantagEDGE Complete Nutrition Shake. I know I don't get nearly enough protein in a day, and I wanted to try this after my run. It was actually quite tasty. I enjoyed it.

After cooling off, I cleaned up and my cousins, aunt and I went out for dinner on the patio of a favorite GF restaurant of ours, located along the river. It was just perfect. Cold drinks, appetizer and a chicken salad. Yummy. Afterwards we went back to the house and relaxed. My cousin's boyfriend, made a pitcher of Mohito's and they were fabulous! I had two, and then asked what was in a Mohito. All I got out of what he said was, "A lot of alcohol". Needless to say, I slept like a baby.

On a side note, for those of you who asked about any bites on a job... still working on it. I am hoping to land a position in a certain district, but until I do so, I am not at liberty to say!

Happy running, y'all!

9 comments:

Wes said...

Yea, I used to be a heal thumper. Now, I land on the same spot you do, but I don't even have to think about it consciously anymore.

That's exciting news on the job front. Hope it works out for you :-)

Marcy said...

I've never seen those drinks! I'll have to be on the look out.

Dang girl, you've had more drinks in the past 2 weeks then I've had in a year LOL! (I'm just jealous, it's hard to have a couple cocktails when you have to worry who might get up at night hehe)

Glad you enjoyed your run!!! ;D ;D

Joe said...

> I did the run5/walk1 method

It takes some discipline to do that but I think it helps reduce the risk of injury.

Joe said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Larissa said...

Mmmm. Mohitos. I don't even know what it is and it sounds good. Sounds like you had the perfect day! I hope your job search turns out just the way you want it to.

Unknown said...

You're lucky the wind cooperated with you (pushing and cooling). I'm convinced it changes direction on me so that I get to run into a head wind going out and coming in. LOL

miss petite america said...

mojitos are my FAVORITE drink!!!

so refreshing!!

MNFirefly said...

The Mojotos (bad memory for me!) sounds yummy. Great job on the run.

John said...

Good to see you being able to enjoy your running again.

I started out running using the R/W method,too. I didn't like it at first but can't complain when it's prepared me to run a HM this Sunday after only 12 weeks. As you progress you can bump up the run portion or reduce the walk portion.