5.18.2007

Food for thought

There... is... a... running... God!

I woke up this morning and the pain in my ankle was gone. I don't know what it was. A part of me thought it was some sort of bone bruise. Then I thought it was some sort of nerve pinching. When I would lift off my toes, a pinching pain would occur that went up to my knee... if that makes any sense. All I have been doing is resting, icing, and stretching. Another example of how important it is to stretch, even on the days you don't run.

It was interesting to read what some of you fellow bloggers said about your running mechanics. I think that sometimes when I run I end up planting my heal down first. According to Suzy Favor Hamilton, you are to "plant your feet at the mid-foot area or at a full-foot plant, avoiding a pure heel touchdown." And the angle of your foot should be either strait ahead at touchdown or pointing slightly inward. Very interesting.

Food for thought: Sometimes runners get all caught up in the idea of eating carbs, carbs, and more carbs, and forget how important protein is. Here's a nasty comparison for you to think over...

Bagel with 2 Tbsp butter...500 cal...11g protein...60g carbs...26g fat
Quarter Pounder................430 cal...23g protein...36g carbs...21g fat

I am still planning on not running until next week. I am working on finding what will work for me. I was reading how important it is to build a good foundation (base)... and I want to do that for at least a month before I even think about doing some fancy runs again, like speed work/intervals.

This is Teacherwoman, signing off... happy running y'all. I will be back on Monday with an idea as to what kind of schedule I will be attempting!

13 comments:

Krista said...

WHAT?! OK, thank you for giving me a reason to give up bagels forever. I don't go to McD's but anytime coworkers bring in bagles, I'm the first one to pony up to the table. Might explain a few things...

Neese said...

mmmm burgers :p

have a great weekend!

Wes said...

Great. Now I want to visit McDs. Good thing I just ate two sandwiches, mac salad, and a cup of pudding :-) Delighted to hear about your ankle. Landing on your heel is spot on when it comes to your ankle. That is why my ankle hurts so much after I ref. I don't pay attention to my form and I run fast going in every which way.

akshaye said...

glad you feeling better.. and good for me that i checked your post just before lunch :)
keep resting in the meantime. the temptation to get out there is too much but you must give it enough time.

Marcy said...

Uggghhhhh now I really want some McHeartAttack Burgers. Dang it!! Hope you have a great weekend!

J~Mom said...

Oh no!! I love bagels. That is a terrible comparison. :>)

I totally agree with what you read about foot placement. Ah it all gets more and more complicated for us...

Anonymous said...

I guess someone was craving a burger! ;)

I'm glad to hear your ankle is feeling better. Way to be smart and wait to start running. Hard to do, but smart!

Take care and start back slow!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you have a good plan - hope you figure out what is going with your mechanics.

bagel vs. whopper was interesting - can you make it a veggie one?

Jess said...

I've read that the best balance for runners is this simple strategy: carbs before you run, protein afterward.

But I hate McDonald's, blech. The only thing I find delicious there is the McGriddle. That? Is to die for!

Randy - Maniac #788 said...

Stacy....I have a report about my 2 5k's today...I noticed for the first time in any of my races that I wasn't heel planting first...I believe I ran both races striking on my mid-sole area. I have to give the credit to your blog on mechanics for helping me get there...and I also have to say that my shins are not sore, at least yet. Thanks.

miss petite america said...

this makes me want to have a burger right now...

Unknown said...

Does this mean you are promoting burgers over bagels? I love a good burger.

Anne said...

The food comparison reminds me of a guest speaker we had at one of my marathon training sessions who kept yelling, "Get off the bagel!" He complained that the runners he saw at the beginning of the program were still the same weight at the end. So true!