4.22.2007

Thanks, friends and fellow bloggers

Moving, moving, moving. Not much to say besides that it is a lot of work. And I still have so much more to do. I was hoping to pack until late last night, but by the time 10pm rolled around, I was getting sore. I went to bed early and got up early to do some more packin'. I just needed to take a break.

Yesterday, I spent a lot of time reflecting. Reflecting on the past year. All of the changes. How much I have learned. What I have gained. What I have lost. Reflecting on how comfortable I have become with my running. How much I rely on it for my sanity and well-being. How, no matter how tired I am, once I get out there, it lifts so much from my shoulders.

I spent time thinking. Thinking about where my next step will take me. Thinking about whether it is going to be one small step or one giant leap. Thinking about where I will be going. Thinking about what friends have said, what people have commented in regards to my last post. Thinking about what my family has said. A lot of "what ifs" running circles in my head. Wes made this comment on my last post and I thought about it during my entire run yesterday:

"You are young. You have a long career ahead of you. If you make a mistake or two on your first two job choices, it will not matter a bit. As a matter of fact, it will probably provide you with clarity about exactly what your goals really are and where you want to be. Don't fret over this first decision. If you want to go someplace comfortable. Go. If you want to take a chance. Go there. As long as you strive to be the best, opportunities will always present themselves."

Then I came home and read another fellow bloggers post, Akshaye, and his words consumed my mind.
"The feeling of revisiting the past and wondering how things would have been had you not moved on. The ability to seamlessly slip back into your 'first' life leaving your 'second' as a reality that is an almost forgotten dream. I guess there always exists a certain romance and bond with the city you grew up in, that like a first love, always beckons you into falling in love with her all over again."
Some words of wisdom from Randy....
"but above all just be happy with yourself and where you are."
And last but not least... from Neese, who has always been a great inspiration for me.
"you are so young and the world is yours and it is OK to test the waters, you may find that you live in several places before you call a place home... who knows where the roads will lead and not to mention who you may meet which will take your life in directions you had not even planned!! Advance confidently and take that long deep breath, you have arrived baby! world watch out!"

I hope these guys don't mind me sharing their words. Words of wisdom. I have to thank everyone for their kind words and thoughts. It all means a lot to me. Bloggerland is another way of getting rid of the stress, right along with running.

In regards to figuring out where I am going next in my career, or in life for that matter, I know that I am not settling. I am not going to take a job just because I am afraid another one won't come along. I am not going to settle for a position where I am at right now, just because I don't know if I am ready to leave my comfort zone. In the words of Sugarland, I ain't Settlin'.
I ain't settling for just getting by
I've had enough so so for the rest of my life
Tired of shooting too low, so raise the bar high
Just enough ain't enough this time
I ain't settling for anything less than everything

_____________________________________________
Tuesday: lifted arms, 9.5 mi. spin
Wednesday: run 3.67 mi. outdoors (with Sis). Beautiful weather. Felt great!
Saturday: 3.8 mi. run outdoors. 57 and humid/moist. But that's okay. I might have to get used to that.

15 comments:

Wes said...

Being able to share a little bit of our life experience is an honor we shan't soon forget. Besides, most of the time, we are full of crap ;-)

Neese said...

aw i love ya girl -- and it's my hope you will always blog so we can be "with" you on your journey because you KNOW it will be an exciting one, you aren't the settling kind! :))

akshaye said...

hey.. glad you liked my post and of course you can use my words. i guess the timing was good for you. and whether it is one small step or a giant leap - all we can do is keep on moving right? after all we're runners :)

cdoc said...

Look how many places I have been since I graduated. And I still haven't settled. I will know it when I find the place to put my roots, so until then I will enjoy my journey. And you should do the same. Take a chance. You only live once and you don't want to look back one day with any regrets for chances you didn't take. The place we grew up will always be our home, our comfort, but it will always be there, waiting if in the end that is where you need to be, where you need to plant your roots. Until then, enjoy the unknown, follow your heart, and enjoy the journey. Moving far from home, even if it was only a year, was one of the best things I have ever done for myself. It proved that I am strong, independent and can accomplish anything. I don't doubt it would do the same for you. But the only person that can make that decision is you, and whatever it is, it will be the right choice for now. Tomorrow it may change, but for today it is right. Don't doubt the faith others have in you and don't doubt the faith you have in yourself.

miss petite america said...

amen, sister.

we seem to be in the same boat in terms of embarking on career adventures. i know how stressful it is, how overwhelming it is, but i also know how EXCITING it is! enjoy the ride chica!

Unknown said...

The blogging community has been a great support in this time. I feel often disconnected throughout the week, but love catching up on the weekend. I can't wait to be done with student teaching.

JeffM said...

Great post and great attitude!

J~Mom said...

The running/blogging community has been so awesome! I feel I know so many of you and I appreciate the support you give as well!!

Jess said...

What?! Did I need not distribute wise info worth repeating?

J/K. I'm sure I said something wise-ass, but "wise" is not my forte. Lovely language from the others though.

Jess said...

With my graduation in the not so distance future (December...thank goodness I get one more semester) I've been stressing about a lot of the same big life choices.

My mom, the brilliant woman that she can be, gave me some advice that helped calm the stressing. She said that anyone can do anything for six months or a year. If it sucks after that we can also find something different, but it never hurts to take a risk and see.

Good luck with your upcoming decisions. Hopefully no matter where you end up you'll still be blogging!

Krista said...

Oh, teacherwoman! If I could share some perspective, I'd say RELAX. I'm only 5 years removed from this exact, same experience. The college-to-real-world transition is extremely stressful, and it also flies by. What seem like enormous obstacles and decisions right now will be distant memories a year from now. In the end, you will wrangle over a lot of "what if's" but will ultimately end up wherever you are supposed to be.
Before I started my first job, I actually accepted 3 other jobs and quit them all before even starting. It paid off - I ended up in a great job and all it took was listening to my gut. Do the same, and you'll be fine. GOOD LUCK.

Joe said...

Never be afraid to go out on a limb. That's where the fruit is. (No, I didn't think of that one.)

Brooke said...

Sounds like a good plan. I like that song. Good luck you. I look forward to reading about your adventures.

Larissa said...

Girl, you've got your wings, enjoy the flight. And everyone is right, there are no mistakes for you right now, just choices that lead you to who you are supposed to be. Don't fear the journey.

Ms Eva said...

Great post! I'm glad to see you've come out from the dark clouds. :)