4.27.2007

Hello Spring




Taking a break from a few reflective and thought provoking posts (as well as emotional), I am happy to be posting about running again. I ran last wednesday in the beautiful 60 degree weather with my sister, and then ran last saturday morning in a cool crisp 55 degrees, alone....pounding the pavement.

Last night was the first time since saturday that I was able to get out and get my run on! Besides packing, cleaning, lifting, and moving, I haven't done much running. I got home after school, changed, grabbed Mr. Garmin and my HR monitor and hit the road. Forgot my Nano but that was probably good .... it gave me the opportunity to pay more attention to my breathing and my surroundings.

It's definitely spring. My senses were in overload as I was running. Living at my aunt's, I was able to run on new territory and take it all in. There aren't many parks or sites to run through, like many of you bloggers write about, but I was able to enjoy the new scenery. The grass is already turning green, the trees are starting to bud, the birds are chirping, kids playing in their yards; and people walking, running, and biking all over the place. The sun was shining through the clouds. When I got home from my run at 6, it was 78 degrees! It just seems incredibly warm for North Dakota in April. Hopefully we can keep it around for a while!

After showering and doing some much needed errands, I got a call wondering if I wanted to play some basketball. Sure, why not. It was gorgeous outside. So, I met up with a couple of my good guy friends to shoot hoops. Nothing like playing some street ball with a high school basketball coach and a big guy. With a flat ball. When pumping the ball with air, N got the needle stuck in the ball. So, no dribbling I guess. Just shooting hoops and a lot of traveling. I think they thought I was one of the guys, giving me crap left and right... man-handling me. I am sore today, darnit. They called me Team Defense, because my defensive skills stunk and they were trying to "educate" me on how to position myself ... defensively. I was getting ridiculed for throwing my elbows out there, but I couldn't help it. When I had a 250 pound guy coming after me, I certainly wasn't going to be able to "box him out"! It was still fun though. Lots of laughs.

Once the sun went down, we opted for a cool beverage on the patio of one of the restaurants along the river. How nice it was... and relaxing. Suprisingly, it was still warm after the sun went down, which is odd for April.

Well, this is Team Defense signing off! I will be heading to the cities for a bachelorette party tomorrow! Have a great weekend, y'all!

17 comments:

Wes said...

"Team Defense"! LOL. I think they made that up just so they could manhandle you :-) Have a great weekend!!!

miss petite america said...

bachelorette party sounds MUCH more fun than defending a 250 pound man...though who knows what kinds of men you'll encounter out with the girls...

have fun and be safe chica!

Ms Eva said...

What an adorable little illustration. Did you draw it?

I love basketball...especially the rough/tumble style you described. Great fun! Great workout! :)

Have a great time at the bachelorette party - sounds like fun! :)

Krista said...

I totally hear you on the 'spring has sprung' feeling! I love seeing everyone come out of hibernation. Have fun in the cities!

Trisaratops said...

Have FUN this weekend!

Mmem said...

Yes, we can all come out of hibernation again!

Fun times playing b-ball!

teacherwoman said...

No, I didn't draw the picture...found it on google and thought it fit the story!!

Neese said...

LOL @ Wes's comment.

Glad ND is getting some nicer weather, for some good runs.

Happy Weekend! ~ enjoy that party!!

Unknown said...

Sounds like a lovely run!! Glad you enjoyed all that your senses took in...spring is awesome!!

Anonymous said...

You have such a tremendous future ahead of you - hope all your dreams come true and you have a restful summer.

Deb said...

Look at you taking on the boys in 'b' ball! Stay on him...my monies on you!

JeffM said...

Great cartoon. Fun time of year to run with the weather changing and everything turning green.

MNFirefly said...

Cute drawing!!

Jess said...

Yeah, I suck at basketball. It doesn't help that I'm 5' even.

D said...

Thanks for stopping by, Teacherwoman! You've been running in perfect running weather!

John said...

Nice to see you being able to enjoy yourself instead of dealing with the stresses in your life.
Hope your weekend went well.

J~Mom said...

Sounds like fun!! Glad you got to run and play ball! What a fun day!