4.02.2007

physical fitness productivity

Since my 4-7 class was canceled, she advised us to use the time to work on our two upcoming projects. Sure. I could have been productive with my academics, but did I? Nope. Instead, I chose to be productive with my physical fitness, which in return, affects my overall academic performance! It's true!

I went to the gym with all intentions of running. Not just a few miles, but 7. Well, if anyone know's how wonderful it is to run on a thrillmill, you know that you cannot run 7 miles without having to restart it.... I can't. I am not that fast. The thrillmills at the Wellness Center have 40 minute cycles. So, when I finished my 40 minutes, I started over and decided to go another full 40 minutes. I was able to do 3.56 in the first 40 and was thinking that I had to keep up that pace in order to do 7 miles total with an additional 40 minutes. And that is what I did. I guess I must have either ran faster or took less walk breaks (or both) in the second 40 minute session .... since..... I was able to accomplish ... 7.2 miles! That's an average pace of 11:06/mile! Crazy! I need to slow my butt down a bit for these longer runs... maybe?!?!

I will be honest, the first couple miles weren't that great. I felt like I had my groove on during my 3rd, 4th, and 5th miles, and the 6th and 7th were a little bit more tiring. My right groin muscle was beginning to get a little sore the last couple miles. I haven't felt that since my 9 mile runs this past summer. I can't believe that it has been about 7 months since I have run that far of a distance. Nasty.

My class tomorrow night is canceled. She gave us three activities to work on instead. But, I am tempted to go lift and do spin, and then do my homework... hopefully.

Oh, and by the way, just as we thought the snow was gone. It's supposed to snow again tonight and tomorrow. Accumulating a few inches of snow, possibly. Hopefully it will just stay south of here. Yuck. I thought we were done with that white stuff!

Happy running, y'all!

9 comments:

Randy - Maniac #788 said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I'm debating whether I run tomorrow morning or not. I've developed a planter's inflammation in my left heel and it is letting me know that it's still there. I bought new inserts today that are supposed to help. I walked tonight for 2 miles with my wife and I did ok, but it's still a bit sore. I know it won't go away immediately but I'm just thinking maybe I need to rest one more day.
My wife was born in Grand Forks but grew up in Drayton. She moved away from GF in 2001 when we got married. I took her to Texas.
When you talk about "spinning" are you referring to riding a stationary bike of some sort? That is a new term to me.
Thanks for the encouraging words too.

John said...

Nice run. Now go do your homework young lady :-)

J~Mom said...

7.2 miles!!! You rock!! And great pace!!!!

Did it snow again? Yuck. It's going to be 90 here tomorrow. We need a happy medium!

Wes said...

Way to rock those miles!! A wise man said, get out and run for five minutes, and if by then, you aren't feelin it, then quit. Sounds like great advice, because I don't truly "feel it" until miles 3 or 4 of my short runs and 6-9 of my long runs. It makes the effort worth while.

Jess said...

Whenever I have to cancel class, I always tell my students to work on paper assignments they have, but I know that realistically, they won't. I wouldn't either if I were them.

Joe said...

You did 7 miles on a thrillmill? Wowzers! I would have died of boredom. Was there lots of eye candy at the gym?

JeffM said...

Running versus homework- easy decision.
Good run, especially on a treadmill.

Unknown said...

Nice job on the 7 miles. I know what you mean about being more productive after exercise. I would have done the same thing if my class was cancelled. We need balance in our lives.

Anonymous said...

What? Snow? It's supposed to be spring!

Good job on the run. I don't think I'd last on a treadmill that long. Way to go!

By the way, don't forget to do your homework. ;)