4.20.2007

Overwhelmed with Stress

I never realized how stressful this year has been until today. Last night I had an emotional breakdown while on the phone with Mom. An emotional breakdown over nothing, really. My sister had left yesterday with most of her stuff to move home to the Bis. Last night I was frantically trying to figure out what to wear to the Educators Job Fair today, which I decided to go to last minute; on top of trying to get ready for my final project review today at 4pm. There is just too much going on right now.

I was up at 530 this morning, on campus before 7am to register for the Job Fair, since I didn't pre-register. Sat around for a while and then was given the opportunity to sell myself to recruiters for the two hours to follow. Landed me some job interviews, interviewed throughout the afternoon, and then presented my final project, the one I had to present in order to graduate. In the midst of our presentations, we were asked to share how we have grown in the process of the completing our residency. Let's just say there were about 12 of us and about 5 were in tears. I have finally come to the conclusion that I am not the only one who has been stressed out of my mind for a while, along with being mentally and emotionally drained. I was able to hold my composure, but while listening to others, I found it hard to hold back the tears.

I have applied to quite a few school districts, in state and out of state, had many interviews, been offered 1 job on the spot and told multiple times today that I could get a job easily with "their" district. Actually, while waiting to interview with one location, I had a recruiter from AZ asking me tons of questions. Telling me that I probably had sooo many people asking me to come for interviews when just walking by their booth. Which was true. I felt that they were staring me down, and once they would completely read my nametag their eyes would become huge! I don't know if that was because of my all-american name, or my titles to follow -- B.S. Elementary Education / M.S. Special Education Strategist. He was great to talk to, grabbed my resume, and said I might be getting a phone call from a county that his friend works for. okay. Not really sure if AZ is for me..

And now, I have some decisions to make. I will possibly be getting calls to come back for more interviews, I am still waiting for closing dates of april 30 to see if I will get an interview from some other schools I applied to a while ago, and now I just have to wait. wait for what? I need to really think. Where do I want to teach? Not just where do I want to live, but where do I want to teach? Which of these schools really has what I want?

I am going to bed. I am so drained from this week, it is crazy. How come I am able to crash by 930 on a friday night, but not until after 1130 on weeknights? This doesn't make sense. Tomorrow, I have to start packing. Our plan is to be completely out by this coming wednesday. Eeks. Plus, I have to work on a couple final projects for classes. Two weeks of class left. And you have no idea how excited I am!

Tomorrow... I will go for a much needed run... as far as my heart desires!

15 comments:

cdoc said...

I am the same way, I can't go to sleep early during weeknights but by the weekend, I can be in bed sometimes by 8:30pm. I think it's because you work so hard all week and when you are allowed to relax even a little, you crash. Good luck with the last 2 weeks of school.

Unknown said...

School is tough. I don't envy the position you are in right now, but I am sure things will work out. I think you have worked so hard to get to this point and now it is finally here...and the next steps are still up in the air.

Hang in there. I think running will do you a world of good though. :)

JeffM said...

That's really exciting- the whole country at your feet! Arizona would be a drastic climate change, but then again it would be something different.

miss petite america said...

enjoy your run tomorrow. you deserve it :)

Anonymous said...

Hang in there. I have four GA's who work for me now and they are all going through much of the same issues you expressed. It is a tough period of transition, but you will get through it. Good thing is you have skills and an education that make you a viable professional, and that is something that many people in this world do not have. Sounds like you are on the right track, and you will be more than fine no matter where you end up teaching. Good luck over the next couple of weeks...

Anonymous said...

So many decisions. I know you will make the right one.

Wes said...

Here in Atlanta, when you have my skillset, more often than not, people will knock down your door trying to get you to come work for them. That is a very comforting feeling. You are young. You have a long career ahead of you. If you make a mistake or two on your first two job choices, it will not matter a bit. As a matter of fact, it will probably provide you with clarity about exactly what your goals really are and where you want to be. Don't fret over this first decision. If you want to go someplace comfortable. Go. If you want to take a chance. Go there. As long as you strive to be the best, opportunities will always present themselves.

akshaye said...

hey.. hang in there. Things get tough but eventually they have a way of getting sorted out. Hope you enjoy your run.
I am back and blogging again :)

Ms Eva said...

In a way, the stress you are experiencing in regards to finding a teaching job is a GOOD stress. You are lucky. You have the skill set to be very picky. Special Ed teachers are very highly sought after.

I've been where you are (that is the last few weeks of grad school, giving my final presentation, in tears, scrambling to get to the job fair...). Know that in just a few short weeks it will all be over and you'll be able to relax. Kick your feet up and enjoy a mojito (or drink of choice). :)

You are fortunate that you have running & blogging... both are great forms of stress relief (at least to me). And of course, friends and family to lean on. :)

Take care of yourself. We're all here for you. :)

Randy - Maniac #788 said...

I agree with Wes and Makita, you have a great set of skills and have gotten through an enormous stressful event in your life. The next one, finding a job will not be that big when you look back on it in the future. You sound like you are in the driver's seat, the choices that you make today won't make or break your long term career, look for what you think will be interesting that may provide you with an interesting location as well...but above all just be happy with yourself and where you are....Randy

Mendy said...

I agree with the others. Relieve your stress here blogging, and running. I was in a stress class the other day at work and the instructor asked us how we deal with it - my answer - simple - "I run". You have that too...

Sounds like you have a lot of choices and directions to take. You'll make the right decision for right now, and I like what Wes said - if you down the mistaken path now, so what... You'll find what it is you're supposed to do. You're very marketable, with your education, skills and personality. Best of luck to you!

MNFirefly said...

Hang in there. I understand how tough school then job search can be. Relax and take it one day at a time.

Neese said...

You have worked so hard and accomplished so much the last few years I think it's natural to feel overwhelmed as it comes to a close and new doors open with so many choices and unknowns. I feel old saying this, but you are so young and the world is yours and it is OK to test the waters, you may find that you live in several places before you call a place home... who knows where the roads will lead and not to mention who you may meet which will take your life in directions you had not even planned!! Advance confidently and take that long deep breath, you have arrived baby! world watch out!

Unknown said...

I can so relate to all of this. I find myself thinking about the difficulty of all we go through and realizing that there are 40+ other students in my cohort that are in the same position and most of them going through the same stresses.

You have a lot of choices to make, but I agree that you should not settle. You have a lot to offer and need to pick and choose and make sure you are making the choice that is right for you for whatever reason. I am limited in the districts I am looking at, but have 3 or 4 that I am contemplating on and just waiting on interviews in the next couple of weeks. Hang in there. You're going to find a district that is going to be the right fit for you and if not you can move on the next year.

J~Mom said...

I sent that guy from Arizona. I told him to look for you. :>) I need a running buddy and so I sent him after you.

You have so much advice already and I agree with what the others have said...follow your heart and a little of your head and you will find the right spot to start from.

I spent my first five years (and only five years) teaching in a spot I never thought I would end up. I probably won't go back there when I re-enter teaching but I wouldn't trade those experiences for the world. I learned so much and you will too. You are going to do great things where ever you end up!

(((HUGS)))