5.12.2006

These are bothering me



This morning at 5:20, I was going to attempt my long run. Not so successful. If anything, it made me want to cry. I ran a mile, then had to walk. I made myself walk for another 15 minutes, since I was already at the gym. So much for 4 miles. I think I am pushing myself too hard, too fast. I guess I am just going to have to wait a couple days. I have come to the realization that I might have shin splints, with my right leg being worse. DARNIT! This makes me angry. In my case, I think a lot of things had caused this; doing too much too quick, improper or not enough stretching, not enough rest, maybe improper footwear, and weak/imbalanced calf muscles. I am not too happy with this. This is definitely going to affect my training schedule. But, I would rather be safe than sorry and injure myself to the point of not being able to run at all.

6 comments:

cdoc said...

BTW, I forget to let you know that with Brooks shoes they have different kinds for the different way people step, my shoe is universal something or other because I mildly over pronate, whatever that means. But they knew what they were talking about because the shoes help! Here is the website to check out: http://www.brooksrunning.com/.

cdoc said...

Oh, this website can help you find the best shoe for you by asking you some questions and also it will tell you the closest stores that carry these shoes.

Danny said...

i went through the shin splints thing myself, so i feel your frustration. (actually, it still happens now and then.)

you didn't say how much running you were doing prior to your blog life here, but it's very common that at the outset of a training program, the enthusiasm makes us run too much. try trading some of those run days for cross training. after all, you do have 6 extra weeks!

best of luck!

teacherwoman said...

You're right. I haven't done much running prior. Taking a day off was well worth it. Cross training will be on my schedule!

Lora said...

Welcome to the running world! We all can say we don't stretch enough--it takes awhile before you realize where your body is the weakest--take it slow--the rule is never go more than 10% longer than the last week. And especially remember--ICE IS YOUR FRIEND!!! Go frozen peas!!!!

Lora said...

Welcome to the running world! We all can say we don't stretch enough--it takes awhile before you realize where your body is the weakest--take it slow--the rule is never go more than 10% longer than the last week. And especially remember--ICE IS YOUR FRIEND!!! Go frozen peas!!!!