5.18.2006

Last Day of School....sniff..sniff..


Today was the last day of school. It was sad and exciting. I was sad to see my few sixth graders go through their graduation ceremony this morning. I was sad when I had to give some of my younger students a hug this afternoon. But, it was really sad when we all got together after school to celebrate a "partial" retirement party for our librarian and found out that they were also using it as a time to get me "best wishes" gifts and celebrate. This was completely unecissary, but I should have expected it from the group of teachers I work with. The picture to the left is of gerber daisies that I received from my para. One of the many beautiful gifts I received. I am really going to miss the school I am at. I couldn't have asked for a better group of teachers, support staff, paras, and principal to work with. I have been truely blessed. This year has been a difficult year, being thrown into a job with little experience and little to none guidance. Trying to figure out my students and what they struggle with, along with their strengths. Trying to become comfortable with the idea of someone working under me and having to tell them what to do. There has been a lot of ups and downs this year as well. I have lost a few students due to them moving. I found out in March that my position was being filled by another teacher in a small town, but since I was thinking of going back to school anyway, my director told me to apply for the resident program. This giving me the opportunity to obtain my masters in Special Education while teaching. So, next year, I will be working in a different school, with both elementary and high school students. I will miss my students from this year, but I look forward to the challenges that lie ahead of me!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw all the presents at home! I snooped through them too : ) You are too spoiled, but really that was very sweet of them. They must just love you! Call me when you get home chica!

SRR said...

Sad?! I will be ELATED when school is over! But, if you're at the right school that makes all the difference. Enjoy your summer!

I have 7 more days!

Ms Eva said...

I recall also feeling very sad when the school year would come to a close... particularly the last year I was teaching (I've been a SAHM since '02) as I knew I would not likely return to the same building, let alone the same district. It was a hard transition for me.