5.21.2007

Starting Fresh...today

Yesterday was my last day of "no running" and to be completely honest, I am a little nervous to get back out there today. I spent the last week reading a book by Susan Favor-Hamilton, covering the basics of running. I learned a lot in regards to mechanics, nutrition, and other fun stuff.

Yesterday, I spent some time looking over different training schedules, such as Hal Higdon's, Jeff Galloway's, Furman's First, and Runner's World Smart Coach, trying to figure out the right plan for me. I decided that for this week, I am going to test the waters with short distances, 3-4 times this week. I need to really start listening to my body and paying more attention to what I am putting in it before and after a run.

It's going to be difficult to get some runs in outdoors this week. Rainy and icky all week. I am tempted to take advantage of a free-trial membership at a local gym here...for that reason. I am no longer able to use the wonderful wellness center on campus.

It's going to be a crazy, busy week. My cousin is getting married this weekend and I am her personal attendant. We have a lot to accomplish in preparation for this wonderful day! Her sister and her boyfriend are home from England as well, so we will be busy with them, shoving our faces with food they don't get in England and enjoying a few cocktails. Probably not the best time to start back up with running, but is there ever a perfect time?

Until tomorrow! Happy monday...and happy running, y'all!

11 comments:

MNFirefly said...

Have fun!

Ms Eva said...

I keep meaning to keep an eye on what I eat (not so much for weight loss/gain but more so to know how I feel when running - what works, what doesn't). Are you keeping a food journal? What training plan is most appealing to you?

Marcy said...

Sounds like a plan ;D ;D

Good luck staying sane this week!! And have fun at the wedding! hehe

akshaye said...

good luck getting back. keep it short and also keep it slow. you want to get back into it easy.
sounds like a fun week!

Wes said...

I, personally, like those plans that allow you to mix a goal race with running as its own goal. Have a great week :-)

Larissa said...

Sounds like the perfect week to start running again! If you can do it this week, you can do it any week!

Jess said...

I was nervous when I started back as well, and it wasn't perfect at first, but the past few weeks, I have been improving bit by bit and that's worth getting back into the game for.

J~Mom said...

Sounds like a great plan...start out short and build up!

Unknown said...

You can do it. Hardest part is putting on the running shoes and getting out the door.

Randy - Maniac #788 said...

You have a PLAN and the smarts to know it can be adjusted when necessary...you are well on your way to success. Good luck with it. How's the job search going, any nibbles?

Deb said...

Sounds like a perfect time to REVIEW those training plans so you can make an educated choice. LOL! Hold off until the wedding and cocktails fade away. ;)