7.14.2006

What the heck?!

First off, since I was scheduled to do 5 miles on wednesday and did only 1.5, I attempted to run at the gym yesterday before my scheduled 1/4 mile swim with my sister. Yeah, that was a joke. I figured I could get a few miles in, but when I showed up they said that they were probably going to have to close the gym due to the temperature in there. It was 87.5 degrees, and they close it at 88 degrees. 88 DEGREES! Good thing we are getting a new Wellness Center, this one doesn't have central air, I swear. So, I got on to run and was sweating in no time. She came to inform me that they were closing at 3pm, so I was just able to get in 1.5 miles. What a joke. Grr.
Sis and I swam 1/4 mile and were exhausted. It is so different when you HAVE to swim the whole length of the pool without stopping!
Well, this morning I had scheduled my long run since I was going to be out of town the rest of the weekend (wedding & taking part in the Prairie Rose games 6 mile walk on saturday). So, after a late night of volleyball, I got up at 5:20 this morning to run 8 miles. I ate a peice of toast, drank some water and hit the road. I probably made it to 3 miles and my left toes were bothering me. It was hurting so bad that I had to stop, take my shoe and sock off to see what was rubbing. Oh, just a blister. That had just POPPED. Plus, another blister was forming on another toe!
What the heck?! Why now? Why today, of all days.
So I struggled with that pain. By the time I reached 4.5 miles, I was really struggling with pain on my right shin.
What the heck?!
I figured, what is 3.5 more miles now, thinking I could just force myself to finish and be done with it. Nope. Did A LOT of walking. Too much to even mention. I was disgusted. I was upset. I had to turn home.
I did 5.5 miles and not a tenth more. I was not happy. So I numbed the heck out of my shins and knees. This is not looking good. I am starting to have a bad attitude about this training business. Why now? I ran 7 miles two weeks ago with barely a problem. Ughhh...
Maybe my next post will be a little more positive!

7 comments:

SRR said...

And happy you should be! 88 degress in a gym? YUCK!!

MNFirefly said...

Keep trying and don't get so hard on yourself. It will get better. The weather does NOT help one bit. Stay safe!

Taunya said...

Do be too hard on yourself. Sounds like your body needed a break! You'll bounce back soon!

Simlin said...

What kind of socks do you run in...a change of socks could be all you need for a blister free run, was for me!

Jess said...

A gym without central air? Yikes!

Neese said...

aw i'm sorry it was rough, your poor toes!! - hope the 6 mile walk went ok in spite of the soreness in your shin, knees and toes. (knees and toes, knees and toes lol).

xo

Anonymous said...

Never heard of them closing a gym before - hope the new place opens up soon.