7.11.2006

Swimming & Reading


Swimming & reading today...not together, though...

Sis and I swam this afternoon.... 8 laps! Go us! They lengthened the pool (actually took out the pool divider) so we struggled with trying to figure out our actual difference... so we swam 8 full lengths of the pool, which we figured was 400 meters...equaling a quarter of a mile. Phew... that was a lot of work! 1 full length of the pull is a lot harder than half...no stopping...wow...

Earlier this afternoon, while sitting outside and enjoying the heat, I was reading. Yes. Fun reading. NO homework. I actually have some time this week to do some reading for fun! Oh, have I missed this favorite pass-time of mine. Unfortunately this available time won't last for ever...just a few days...

Anyway. I was reading. Runner's World. And there was a story in there about drinking water and running. I know for SURE that I am not the only runner out there that worries about NOT drinking enough water and drinking TOO much water while running. Here is the basic overview of the article....
You've got two terms ---> dehydration and hyponatremia (overhydration and diluting of blood-sodium levels)
  • It used to be said that you could never get too much fluids while running. Then there were cases of hyponatremia where people died and that changed. But now, it basically stated that if you are thirsty, you should drink some, and if you aren't, don't force yourself to drink.
  • No two people are alike. Listen to your body.
  • Pay attention to the color of your urine (I know...gross). But, if it is clear, you are drinking too much; if it is darker, like the color of ice tea, you are NOT drinking enough
I just thought this was all very interesting and good to know.

Another question...I suppose I could just research it, but that wouldn't be like me...

What is lactic acid, and what causes it? I know people get build-up from it during running..but what really causes it??

Ha! I knew there would be atleast 1 Twins player participating in the All Star Game! JOE MAUER!!!! I was searching to find the AL and NL roster, but was unsuccessful...Now I guess I just have to watch the game!

Must get to bed, gotta get up at the b*tt-crack of dawn to avoid heat and humidity... 'cause when they combine, it can be miserable!

Happy Runnings!

2 comments:

MNFirefly said...

Nice job on your swim.

I am SO happy that Joe played tonight. I could not watch it, but at least he played.

It's going to be b**** to run this weekend. I can wait until it cools off a bit. I can not get anymore earlier this week since I am already up at 7 am to get ready for class. UGH!

cdoc said...

I just read about the color your urine should be if you are drinking enough water, the color of pale lemonade. Also, here is a link that gives you an idea of how much water you should get in a day when exercising:

http://www.weather.com/outlook/
health/fitness/tools/hydration

I don't get anywhere close to enough water, which I can tell when I am running. You know me, I have never really liked water that much, so I to force myself to drink it. I haven't figured out a way to make myself drink enough, any tips? (I am using your blog for tips, hope that is okay:)).