7.28.2006

1/3 Down....2/3 to Go!

Yes! I am officially done with summer school! I can't believe how much I learned this summer to prepare myself for the school. Between Assistive Technology, Behavior Problems, Behavior Management, Advanced Methods for Learning Disabilities, Special Education Law, Inclusive Methods, & Transition to Adult Life, I must have learned something! So I am 1/3 of the way done with graduate school! It's nice when you look at it that way!
Anyway. I have a couple weeks off, and then I start back up again. The way this program works is that I will be teaching during the day, with the help of a mentor teacher, and taking night classes! In the fall I will be taking three night classes on top of getting credit for being out in the field. I will be working at a small town k-12 school, so I will be able to work will all grade levels. I beleive I will have four or five students at the elementary level and four or five at the highschool level. It is going to be a busy crazy year and I know that it will be over before I blink!
With that note, I thought I would end with a great poem my Inclusive Methods teacher showed us. It couldn't portray teaching any better! Enjoy.

THE STARFISH POEM
Once upon a time there was a wise man
who used to go to the ocean
to do his writing.
He had a habit of walking
on the beach
before he began his work.
One day he was walking along
the shore.
As he looked down the beach,
he saw a human
figure moving like a dancer.
He smiled to himself to think
of someone who would
dance to the day.
So he began to walk faster
to catch up.
As he got closer, he saw
that it was a young man
and the young man wasn't dancing,
but instead he was reaching
down to the shore,
picking up something
and very gently throwing it
into the ocean.
As he got closer he called out,
"Good morning! What are you doing?"
The young man paused,
looked up and replied,
"Throwing starfish in the ocean."
"I guess I should have asked,
why are you throwing starfish in the ocean?"
"The sun is up and the tide is going out.
And if I don't throw them in they'll die."
"But, young man, don't you realize that
there are miles and miles of beach
and starfish all along it.
You can't possibly make a difference!"
The young man listened politely.
Then bent down, picked up another starfish
and threw it into the sea,
past the breaking waves and said-
"It made a difference for that one."

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Congratulations on being 1/3 done. I have much longer to go. After this quarter I will be about 1/6th of the way done, but it's all good.

The poem gave me chills. I'll have to copy that one and post it in one of my notebooks.

Neese said...

aw, wow. i also have chills.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on being done.
That seems like a tough schedule for the fall so I hope you enjoy your time off.

MNFirefly said...

Wow! I know the feeling. I will be so happy to walk again during graduation next May or so in sunny AZ (and hot!) Enjoy the down time while you have it.

Michele said...

Love the poem!
Enjoy the break, sounds like fall will be busy!

cdoc said...

One year my boss at the YMCA gave me that poem. I love it. Yea! on being done with summer school!