4.01.2007

Music Freak!!

If you haven't noticed, I am a music freak. I love music. All kinds. I could listen to music all day! ...punk, rock, country, rap, R&B, swing, 60's, 70's, sometimes 80's, 90's, jazz, blues, reggae, funk, etc. And it most definitely depends on my mood. Last week I burned a CD of O.A.R. music and love it. I have been playin' it in my car all week on my commute to and from work. Tonight, I was able to download music by James Morrison (in picture - right). He is a new artist from the UK that has a real talent. "The Times" say that "it's as though he's stolen the soul of an 80 year old black American blues singer...". And that is exactly how I would explain his music/voice. And the fact that he reminds me a lot of Johnny Lang, another favorite of mine from right here in ND! (pictured below) Boy Wonder is what they called him... as he had at the experienced/powerful voice of a musician at the age of 16!

On a workout note, I took yesterday off. I was so sore from lifting before and after my run Friday, just as I was hoping! Ahhh. Today, Sis and I hit up spin. We usually don't do that on Sunday's but she wanted to go since she was going to be gone this week. Okay with me! We were not impressed with the instructor, he was kind of a snobby cyclist who was not fun! He just shouted out orders: Okay, uh, get your cadence up to 110+, tension at 7, and we'll go for 4 minutes. Not cool. And the music was okay; Sis called it 80's Butt-rock... she's so funny! Plus, I was disgusted with my bike in the back row. It said I only did 6.2 miles when I know that I did more than that since we did a whole lot of sprinting. I usually average 8-10 miles each session when we don't do a lot of sprinting. I am sure I did more than 10. Oh well. It wasn't working well, as I watched my cadence go from 0 to 254 to 14 to 110 to 0 to 56, and so on.

Now tomorrow, I have been blessed with having one of my classes canceled... the 4-7 class. So, I am planning on doing a long run between school and my 7pm class. Since I didn't get my long run in last week, and who knows what I will accomplish Easter weekend, I figured I would attempt one tomorrow. How long? I don't know. My plan is 6-7 miles. We'll see how it goes.

And since I have the vision of doing a long run on the thrillmill, I knew that I needed to change my music on my nano. I had 300+ songs on there, but were just sick of listening to them! So I have downloaded a bunch from the 60's and 70's .... and then some random songs .... and made a nice play list for tomorrow... Here's what it looks like, if anyone is looking for different (but old-is-gold) music!

  • Aerosmith - Come Together
  • Alice Cooper - Schools Out for Summer
  • Brownsville Station - Smokin' In the Boys' Room
  • Buggles - Video Killed The Radio Star
  • CCR - Bad Moon Rising
  • CCR - Down on the Corner
  • Dion & The Belmonts - The Wanderer
  • Eric Clapton - After Midnight
  • Foghat - Slow Ride
  • Four Seasons - Stay
  • Four Seasons - Walk Like A Man
  • Frankie Vallie & The Four Seasons - Oh What a Night
  • Journey - Wheel In The Sky
  • The Monkees - Dream Believer
  • The Monkees - Hey Hey We're the Monkees
  • Ram Jam - Black Betty
  • Simon & Garfunkel - Mrs. Robinson
  • Steve Miller Band - The Joker
  • Stevie Wonder - Superstition
  • Wyclef Jean & Refugees - We Tryin' to Stay Alive (Remix)
  • Time of the Season - Blake Lewis (American Idol version)
  • Pride & Joy - Stevie Ray Vaughn
  • Everybody Needs Somebody To Love - Blues Brothers Band
  • Jackson - Joaquin Phoenix & Reese Witherspoon
With that, I am signing off... and wishing y'all a happy monday!

Happy running!

11 comments:

JeffM said...

Good luck on your long run!
Sadly, I remeber a lot of those songs when they were new. Saw Brownsville Station as an opening act in 1978 or 79, everyone said "who are these guys?" That was right before "Smoking" made it big.

Laufenweg said...

i enjoyed your blog and am happy now to discover james morrison. great music list!

Simlin said...

Nice playlist :)

Wes said...

That's the trouble with stationary bikes and treadmills. You just don't know how accurate those things are :-( Your body is probably more accurate! Have a great long run!!

miss petite america said...

o.a.r. rocks. they're my go to playlist on drives to the beach...them and dispatch and of course jack johnson...

Neese said...

O.A.R. sounds interesting i'll have to make a mental note to look him up.

Jess said...

I'm always interested to see what everyone else is listening to on their runs. I like to steal stuff I like!

Joe said...

> On a workout note, I
> took yesterday off

Good for you. You must take a rest day every now and then.

Interesting playlist. That's ultra ol' skool.

Brooke said...

Totally had to download "Schools Out for Summer" and "The Joker." thanks for the reminder.

Randy - Maniac #788 said...

Hi, I'm relatively new to your blog but have seen you posting quite a bit on J-Mom's blog and I believe a few others as well.
I'm a newbie to running but am older and slower in my runs. Plus my wife is from North Dakota too and she is curious about what part of the state you are in. I just finished my first half marathon distance in a training run yesterday and if you care you can see my write up of it and other things about my running at my blog. We are in the Oklahoma City area and I am training for an upcoming half marathon in the OKC Memorial Marathon. Good luck to you. Your music lists are great too. Randy

Anonymous said...

Impressive play list. That should really keep you motivated! IpodFinds