4.25.2007

Loving Every Moment

I haven't written much in regards to my teaching experiences this past school year. Mostly due to confidentiality with special education and not know what exactly it is I would like to comment on.

But, that has changed. As the year comes to an end, I have been doing some reflecting. Since I have began my journey with special education, whenever that began, I have always had a passion for working with kids. It is not my goal to "fix" things, but rather give a child a safe learning environment in which they feel comfortable to take risks and learn.

I think about how much my views have changed throughout this school year, especially in the past few months. Many of my students struggle with difficulties at home, and I have realized that although I can not fix their homelife, I can help make things more enjoyable at school.

The reason why I am posting about this is because a little message I received yesterday got me thinking. Before I comment on the message I received, I must give a little background. I have worked with a student all year long. To make a long story short, this particular child has struggled with anxiety immensely and it has affected his academics. With that, excessive bouts of lying has been a result. Up until a month ago, I felt this child consumed every thought of mine and also crept into my dreams. I wanted to help him enjoy school and push himself, as he is very capable to work at the same level as his peers.

Then things all of a sudden started to change. I can not put a finger on exactly what it is that I started to do differently, but this child changed. I know that with the lying, instead of making a big deal of it as we did in the past, I would acknowledge it and move on. He started walking with his shoulders back and a smile on his face. He started complimenting other classmates. His grades began to go up, working his way to the B Honor Roll. His confidence increased. His sense of humor came back and we have enjoyed throwing sarcastic remarks back and forth at each other.

Prior to this change, there were repeated phone calls to mom stating each and every episode of lies and unfinished homework. I had a hard time making each and every call, as they were always negative. I hate making repeated calls like that. Then, like I said, things started to change, for whatever reason. He has even made the effort of "dropping in" to just say hello on his way to the bathroom or between classes. When passing in the hallway, he would throw a smile and sometimes make a joke. And last week, he had given me a hug and said "thanks" for everything.

Then, the message came. Mom had made a comment to the guidance counselor in regards to her son and all the positive things he has said about me. How he enjoys working with me and hates the idea of me leaving this year. How I have constantly told him he is capable and how I have set expectations for him.

This made me melt. At the same time, it made me sad. Sad to leave. Sometimes we get caught up in our job. Working with all these children, we forget how much of an impact we can have on one child. And that is my goal. If I can reach at least one child, each and every school year, I will be happy. Happy that I am successfully doing my job, and loving every moment of it.

15 comments:

Jess said...

Reading your entry was so touching. Teachers are some of the best people in the world. I owe a lot to the ones who've helped me get to where I am today.

Krista said...

Good for you. My mom is a special ed instructor and I give her, you and everyone else like you a ton of credit. It's not easy, and if you're able to reach the kids like this, it must mean you're doing a good job.

Neese said...

aw. thanks for sharing, that is so touching.

Wes said...

I would imagine, that over the years, you will leave a trail of kids just like that, with a brief moment of sadness, but a lifetime of joyful memories.

(Hmmmmmm. Nope. Crap meter is on empty today :-) )

Ms Eva said...

Well stated, Wes.

There will be many other students like this one... they are what make teaching such an enjoyable career despite all the headaches that I will not mention here (I'm all about positive today). :)

JeffM said...

That will give you job satisfaction! Great to be able to make a difference. Like Wes said, you'll leave a trail of changed kids.

Laufenweg said...

i'm very proud of your work with that child. well done.

miss petite america said...

i have immense respect for teachers. i know that even today i still hold fondness for many teachers i've had who have shaped who i am today.

my hat goes off to you! :)

Simlin said...

It is one of this world's greatest pleasures to get such feedback from people who's lives we have touched in such a positive way.

MNFirefly said...

That's awesome!!

Deb said...

What a grat story. I believe you don't begin to realize the effect you have on those kids. We all remember the 'cool' teacher that seemed to understand. Will they ever now...probably not, but I'm glad someone made sure you do!

Unknown said...

This kind of impact on one child per year is HUGE. Great work with this one. This is your calling, I think. :)

Your time with this one ends, but your ability to touch another is yet to come...

J~Mom said...

What a great post! Thank you for sharing that part of your life with us! Thank you for giving of your time and your heart every day to touch lives just like that one.

Mendy said...

Beautiful story! It's going to just continueing and the impact you made on this child, will always live on.

Great job!

Anne said...

What an inspirational story - and teacher you must be. I love this post.