11.24.2006

5K Turkey Trot

November 23, 2006
9:00 am
30 degrees
brisk weather with slight breeze

My sisters, Dad, and I headed to the race around 8am. It was busy. Turned out they had over 650 runners compared to last years 450. It was wonderful to see this Turkey Trot turn into a family event. For such a small event, they figured they had raised over $20,000 for Cystic Fybrosis. Absolutely fabulous. I had about 5 aunts and uncles, 1 cousin, and my Grandma walk or run it with us. Next year, we hope to get more!
We started a little after 9:oo and the starting line congested, even though they made the walkers start 2 minutes later. I will blame the walkers standing in my way for about 5 extra seconds on my race time.
Once we started I was so excited. My adrenaline was pumping and I knew I had started too fast. I was surrounded by fast feet and found it hard to pace myself. I need to remember to listen to my breathing and pay attention to my feet. So, it was great until the half way point and I already had to walk a few feet. I started running again and a darn side stitch gave me the worst pain ever causing me to walk very slowly around mile 2. Ick. But, then there were a couple ladies behind me that I felt coming up on me and I wasn't going to let them pass me...so I ran with them. The rest of the way. They had a great pace. Towards the end I wanted to gun it but my my legs just felt like lead. It's wierd how some days you can feel as if you are running on clouds and some days it feels as if you had gained 30 pounds.
Results: 3.1 miles in 37:14 (a new PR)
Next year...I plan to run the 10K!
Keep on keeping on!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

that sounds wonderfully fulfilling to run a race with so many family members, what a special thanksgiving, and congrats on the PR! :o)

Unknown said...

Congrats on the PR!

Anonymous said...

Congrads on the PR.

Anonymous said...

Nice job on your race! Nothing like a little competition to get you moving again, huh? Hope you had a great Thanksgiving!

Taunya said...

Congrats on your PR!!! Running in 30 degree weather??? I can't even imagine!

Anonymous said...

I love the idea of doing that with family members!! Congrats on the PR!!!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anne said...

Great to hear you hit a high note -- and low number -- for your turkey trot. Congrats!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.